7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2015 11:11 AM by A.T. Romano

Can't Drag

stephens12044408

Can not drag a clip anywhere.  Can't drag a clip from "Project Assets" down to the time line.  Can't drag a clip in the time line to a different spot.  Is there a setting I need to change?  All the learning videos just say "click on a clip and drag it..."!  Won't work.  What am I doing wrong? Help please.

• 1. Re: Can't Drag
          A.T. Romano Level 7

stephens

What version of Premiere Elements and what computer operating system is it running?

Does this can't drag issue exist if you open a new project?

When you use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to import your source file into the project, does the Project Asset Palette open automatically to reveal a thumbnail for the import? If so, if you double click that thumbnail, does a small Preview Windows (with Set In and Set Out buttons) open?

What are the properties of the source file that you have just imported? Does the can't drag situation exist for video and still source imports?

If you go to the Expert workspace Graphics Tab and other tabs, can you open them? If so, open Graphics, select one of the choices and let me know if you can click and drag the selected graphics into the Timeline video track 2 or into the monitor.

Is this issue "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"?

Please review, consider, and supply more details, and then we will decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can't Drag
            stephens12044408 Level 1

A.T.

Probably main problem is I am a first time user!  Have used iMovie before but wanted something different.  Using Premiere Elements 13 on an iMac with OS X Yosemite version 10.10.4.

Trying to put together some old home movies captured from VHS.  The files are .mov and anywhere from 30 minutes to almost two hours in length.  I imported roughly dozen files in no particular order and now need to put them in order.  Started by using "Quick" method.  Switched over to "Expert" so I could see clip file names in order to know which to move where.  When I click on a clip in the time line a no smoking sign (best i can describe circle with slash!) comes up.  I've done this before in iMovie. 

Yes the Folders/Project Assets does open when I import.  Yes the Preview Window opens with Set In and Set Out buttons. 

Thanks for the help.  Let me know what else you might need.

Stephen

• 3. Re: Can't Drag
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Stephen

Thanks for the reply with helpful information about your issue.

I am assuming that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer. If you have not already, please update 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

For the troubleshooting, please stay with the Expert workspace since I believe that you can see better what is going on and thus have more control over the workflow.

Open a new project. Import only one of your source .mov files...let it be one of the 30 minute ones. Try to click and drag that 30 minute .mov file from Project Assets to the Expert workspace Timeline Video Track 1. Does that work?  (What is video compression associated with the .mov file extension....DV.mov or something else?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can't Drag
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Stephen

Add On...Just in case question....

When you import your ..mov into the program at any time Project Assets - Timeline, do you see a progress bar at the lower right corner of the workspace?

If so, do you wait for all that progress bar activity to complete before moving forward in the project?

ATR

• 5. Re: Can't Drag
                  stephens12044408 Level 1

A.T.

I've checked updates and all were already up to date.

Quick question on starting new project.  The initial window that opened requesting name you want for new project, save in, etc I noticed the "settings" said... "NTSC-Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p".  I do have a Flip but these files are not from the Flip.  I clicked on "change settings" and I see where there are numerous choices or as it's called "Available Presets".  You mentioned file extension DV.mov and I see where there is a DV folder with either Standard 48kHz or Widescreen 48kHz.  Should I use one of those settings? I'll wait for your reply before proceeding.

Thanks

Stephen

• 6. Re: Can't Drag
                    stephens12044408 Level 1

A.T.

Well I went ahead and used DV setting for the import.  I can now drag the files where i want them.  Maybe because these were not Flip movies but imported as such gave me corrupted files.  I'll get going on changing the settings and start again.

Thank you very much for your help.

Stephen

• 7. Re: Can't Drag
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Stephen

In Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1, the program is designed to have the project set the project preset manually based on its analysis of the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline. In doing this, it looks for file dimensions, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, field order. If it cannot determine which of its presets to use, it gives you its default which is 1080i. In this situation, you start a new project and set the project preset manually based on the known properties of the file.

In your case with 720 x 480 4:3 footage, you use File Menu/New/Project to set the project preset to

NTSC

DV Standard

before you import these source files into the project.

The scheme that you use for the manually project preset setting is

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                      • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                      • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                      • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

The usual consequences of a project preset that is not set correctly are many. But, typically they do not manifest themselves as "can't drag" situation as you described.

Although you cannot change project settings after they have been established, you can use Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio to determine what you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set. You cannot make significant changes in project settings in the Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. You need to start a new project if what you find there is appropriate for your project source.

Also, make sure that your export settings are consistent with a 4:3 project.

Thanks for the follow up.

Best wishes.

ATR