8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 4:21 AM by TomD800

Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)

MoviesLA Level 1

Yesterday I purchased Adobe Lightroom 6 and immediately installed this program with apparently no errors.  However, when I click on anything on it's home page, windows goes into a stall mode: cursor spins in a circle, nothing else works or responds, and at the top is a warning: Adobe Lightroom (Not Responding).  I tried uninstalling LR6 and reinstalling it resulting in the same problem.  It won't work.  My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium @ 64 bit with Service Pack 1.  Memory is 6 GB; Hard Drive is 600 GB which is about one-third filled.  Computer is HP e9250t with i5 Intel.  Help !!  I just spent $150 for this software and the damn thing won't work.  Anybody, anybody...

• 1. Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)
          davidm56196129 Level 1

I just had this problem start today.  It occurred after I updated my display adaptor drivers to the latest.  I'm using a Radeon HD7800.  I couldn't even go into the preferences to turn off use the GPU acceleration.  As soon as I tried to click to turn it off LR would hang.  I just rolled back my display drivers to an earlier version and the problem appears to have gone away.  If you are using an AMD card then you might want to visit their site and download an older driver set.  Let me know if that works for you.  It was the 15:22 set that I downloaded today that screwed everything up.....

Cheers,

DavidM

• 2. Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)
            MoviesLA Level 1

Additional information:  Every time I do a reinstall I initially get an unusual warning, "there is a pending windows restart", and asking if I want to ignore it.  Yesterday I did do a restart just to satisfy this warning; however, the warning appears again on the next install.  Strange!!  Next, instead of installing from from the installation disk I purchased yesterday, I downloaded LR6 directly from Adobe's web site hoping that it would be the most up-to-date install with all the fixes and patches.  When I began the install, I got the same "there is a pending windows restart" and I chose to ignore it.  Also interesting when the installation completed it asked if I wanted to Launch the program.  I clicked yes, and it took about 15 seconds for the home page to open, followed by the same problem--click anything on that page and the program goes into "Lightroom Not Responding".  Has anybody solved this?

• 3. Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)
              Mel Davis. Level 3

Try this:  https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-error-messages-bootstrapper-cs5.htm l#main_A_restart_is_pending__Windows__

I know it says CC 5 and 5.5, and you're LR 6, but try it anyway.

If that doesn't do it, try totally uninstalling LR:

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/manually-remove-lightroom.html

and reinstalling being careful to reboot after uninstalling LR 6 but before reinstalling LR 6. Reboot again after reinstalling LR 6 but before starting LR 6.

Just uninstall LR 6, not any earlier versions of LR you've installed.

• 4. Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)
                MoviesLA Level 1

Thank you for your advice.  The problem for me on your first link is my knowing nothing about editing the registry.  I would have to have somebody lead me through this because I hear it's dangerous to do anything to the registry.

For your second link, I have uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted several times.  This doesn't solve the problem.  I keep getting the Lightroom is not responding message if I click on anything.  Also I have never used a previous version.

• 5. Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)
                  Mel Davis. Level 3

There's no need to try uninstalling and reinstalling LR again.

It's possible editing the Registry would not help, but it's also possible that editing the Registry is the only way to fix this, if indeed that errant Registry entry is your problem.

Editing the Windows Registry is not dangerous when done by someone experienced in doing it--and I do understand:  you're not experienced, and don't feel comfortable trying--fair enough. But I've done it many times and never had a problem. I'm always careful to back up the Registry first, and know how to restore the old settings to keep the computer from a Registry-edit disaster. I don't think I've ever needed to use the back up to get out of a jam, but it's vital to have that safety net in place just in case.

In the event you are willing to try to edit the Registry, you need a little more guidance on how to backup and edit the Registry generally than that webpage I linked you to provides. Here's one webpage that gives good basic instructions:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/learn-how-use-windows-registry-editor-regedit-one- easy-lesson.htm

The main thing to know, besides the need to backup the Registry (which they emphasize as well) is to not take any shortcuts and go one step at a time. If you don't understand something, or you see different information than you expect to see, don't "wing it" and start changing stuff just to see what happens. Breaking those rules is the way people get into trouble editing the Registry.

If you don't want to try editing the Registry,. I understand. Do you have a friend, family member, or coworker who can get together (in person) with your PC and is experienced and comfortable with editing the Registry? At worst you can pay a pro to do it, and it shouldn't be expensive if the pro doesn't have to travel to your PC. This would take a good Windows tech person about 10 minutes maximum to try--probably less.

Reboot after editing the Registry before trying to open Lightroom again. It's in booting up that Windows uses the Registry to configure itself, so until the PC is rebooted, the problem would still be there even though the process of editing the Registry had been completed.

The only other fallback I have for you, unless somebody else has further guidance, or you can work this out by calling Adobe Technical Support, is that if you paid Adobe directly to download the software, you do have a money-back guarantee. There's a strict 30-day time limit from the date of purchase.

How to Exchange, Return, or Refund Adobe Software Products | ProDesignTools

I hope you get it worked out without having to use the guarantee, but I know you're worried about wasting the money.

• 6. Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)
                    MoviesLA Level 1

PROMBLED  SOLVED:  I found the upgrade (patch) for LR6 to LR6.1 and it fixed the problem of (Not Responding).

Here is the Adobe website: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/keeping-lightroom-up-to-date.html#rcc2015

Scroll down about half way on that page and select "Lightroom 6 (the same links works for Lightroom CC)".  Below that choose the link "Lightroom 6.1/2015.1" (this is the Windows version for me).  This will begin the download.  Be aware this is not a full install LR6.1, only a patch to create 6.1.  So you must have installed your Lightroom 6.0 prior to all this even though it's not functioning (Lightroom Not Responding) AND don't launch it.  When the download completes, you'll see it's a ZIP file.  I personally moved this file to a folder calling it Lightroom Upgrade to 6.1.  Unzip this file.  Next look for the folder "setup", and open it.  You will next see a red icon with the file name AdobePatchInstaller.exe.  Double click this file and watch it operate for about a minute to conclusion.  DO NOT LAUNCH your Lightroom; instead immediately reboot (restart) your computer.  Now launch Lightroom and Voila !!  It works.  Also notice on that Adobe web page these same type of files exist for previous versions.

• 7. Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)
                      Mel Davis. Level 3

Thanks for letting people know what fixed it. Installing the 6.1 patch and rebooting as you did may have reset that flag in the Windows Registry. Not sure why uninstalling and reinstalling 6.0 didn't work, but I'm glad this did. May this be the only issue you have with Lightroom and may your sailing be much smoother from here out. Good luck.

• 8. Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 immediately reacts with (Not Responding)
                        TomD800 Level 1

Thanks for your solution MoviesLA. After many hours of searching (wo success) I finaly find this moring your post and it worked. Thanks - you made my day!