6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2015 4:13 AM by Just Shoot Me

Importing wrong???

Pepijn van Amstel Level 1

I had to set my computer and re-install everything. Lightroom asked me to import photos, Ilinked to my previous folder on an external drive. After importing all ratings, keyword, modified photos are gone/do not appear. Should I have done it differently?

• 1. Re: Importing wrong???
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

No you did it the right way. But since you never selected to store edits in an XMP file

Auto Write changes to XMP.PNG

all those things you are asking about got saved to the Catalog file only and when you Re-Set, Formatted and or changed out, your hard drive all those things were lost.

• 2. Re: Importing wrong???

thank you very much

so, I suppose all work needs to be re-done even a back-up file would not work

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 19.07.2015 um 12:30 schrieb Shootistbond007 <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Importing wrong???

created by Shootistbond007 in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

No you did it the right way. But since you never selected to store edits in an XMP file

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-7770826-791927/AutoWritechangestoXMP.PNG

all those things you are asking about got saved to the Catalog file only and when you Re-Set, Formatted and or changed out, your hard drive all those things were lost.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7770826#7770826 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7770826#7770826

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 3. Re: Importing wrong???
              dj_paige Level 9

Lightroom asked me to import photos, Ilinked to my previous folder on an external drive. After importing all ratings, keyword, modified photos are gone/do not appear. Should I have done it differently?

Yes, you should have done it differently. You need to make use of the catalog file created previously. That is where your keywords and star ratings and edits are stored.

If you still have this catalog file, you can still use it to obtain your edits and other metadata. If not they are gone, and in the future you need to make regular and automated backups of this catalog file to a different hard disk.

With regards to saving metadata to XMP, some metadata is never saved to XMP and so this cannot be considered a complete backup.

• 4. Re: Importing wrong???

th

so ... best to de-install lightroom and re-do the exercise

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 19.07.2015 um 12:51 schrieb dj_paige <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Importing wrong???

created by dj_paige in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion

Lightroom asked me to import photos, Ilinked to my previous folder on an external drive. After importing all ratings, keyword, modified photos are gone/do not appear. Should I have done it differently?

Yes, you should have done it differently. You need to make use of the catalog file created previously. That is where your keywords and star ratings and edits are stored.

If you still have this catalog file, you can still use it to obtain your edits and other metadata. If not they are gone, and in the future you need to make regular and automated backups of this catalog file to a different hard disk.

With regards to saving metadata to XMP, some metadata is never saved to XMP and so this cannot be considered a complete backup.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7770846#7770846 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7770846#7770846

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

• 5. Re: Importing wrong???
                  dj_paige Level 9

I suppose all work needs to be re-done even a back-up file would not work

A backup will work properly if you have one.

so ... best to de-install lightroom and re-do the exercise

De-installing Lightroom has no effect on this issue (I'm not sure what I wrote could lead to that conclusions)

• 6. Re: Importing wrong???
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

No uninstalling and reinstalling won't fix the problem you have. You never backed up the catalog file to some other hard drive than the one that crashed/died/had to be replaced.

So if you didn't have that option checked I posted about above all the edits you ever did, the keywords and collections are gone because they are stored with the catalog and no were else. That catalog is gone because you didn't have an off system backup of it.