8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 1:45 AM by Arrakis

mask path pasting to wrong place

Arrakis Level 1

I have been trying to make my object follow my mask path but when I copy the mask path to the object position it is not pasting it in the right place. I have purged and restarted and it has not fixed this issue.  Was working fine then suddenly I begun to get these issues. See the pictures.  Picture one shows a letter T with a mask and and a star shape  but as you can see its nowhere near the path.  Picture two shows the path where its being pasted.     I can't understand what is going on here but its not supposed to happen like that. I have done this many times before.

I also tried this with a solid.  I created a mask path on the solid (see picture 3)  then I cut the mask and paste it to the position of the solid and as you can see in picture 4 the solid and the mask are pasted way outside the comp and the path is much bigger than I made it.    Is this a bug or what?

EDIT - I just tried this using an auto traced mask and it works perfectly as it should.  Its only happening when I make the mask with the pen tool??

AE CC 2015

MAC OSX - 10.9.5
      2.2 GHz intel Core i7

16GB

Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Image 1

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 6.50.55 pm.png

Image 2
      Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 6.50.46 pm.png

Image 3

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 7.12.44 pm.png

Image 4
      Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 7.13.20 pm.png

• 1. Re: mask path pasting to wrong place
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first rule in using a shape or mask path as a motion path is that the layer containing the mask must be at the default position [thisComp.widh/2, thisComp.height/2)], the anchor point must be at the default position [thisLayer.width/2, thisLayer.height/2]; and the scale must be 100% and the rotation must be at 0º. If these conditions are not met then your mask or shape path will not line up with the motion path. The second rule is that the motion path will always start at the first vertex and proceed clockwise on the X and Y plane.

Here are some work arounds if you want to position a layer, scale it, then use the shape or mask path for a motion path.

1. Auto trace your shape layer or layer with a mask using current frame and copy and paste the new mask path
          2. If you have a text layer you can create masks from text and pick a mask to use as a motion path
          3. If you have a vector layer you can create shapes from the vector layer after the vector layer is positioned
          4. If you are drawing a shape layer or modifying a shape layer do not scale or modify the layer's transform properties, instead double click one of the points on the path to bring up the transform tool and position rotate and scale your path to it's desired location then copy and paste.

If you need the motion path to be in the X Z plane then you add a 3D null, make the layer with the motion path 3D, parent the layer to the null, rotate the null in x and then remove the parenting.

As long as you follow rule 1 everything will be just fine.

• 2. Re: mask path pasting to wrong place
            Arrakis Level 1

All I did was follow along with the  tutorial in the link below and it worked perfectly fine. Then the next day I come back and it doesn't and I have to precompose the text to get it to work correctly again.  This makes no sense that it can work one day and not the next when I have changed nothing???

Particles Stroke Effect - Trapcode Particular Tutorial - YouTube

• 3. Re: mask path pasting to wrong place

Check your text path by selecting it and pressing the u key twice to reveal the modified properties. Something is not at the default. You have changed something.

By the way,  I just watched the whole tutorial and while it has some good ideas that are much better and more professional techniques that should be employed  two great this project. Right off the top of the repositions I'm scales the text which means that his technique will not work. The text layer must be centered in the comp in at 100% scale to manually draw a path and successfully paste it to a motion path. This let me know right away that this was not a tutorial from a professional.  You should never take as gospel a tutorial that says "this is good enough for the tutorial but I would never do this on a professional project."

A better way to do this project is to convert the text layer to shapes then copy and paste the shape path to motion paths. Your project isn't working because the rules, which are unbreakable, are not being followed.

• 4. Re: mask path pasting to wrong place
                Arrakis Level 1

I just did what you said about copy and paste the shape path and as you can see in my picture it still does not paste to the right position unless I pre comp it.  
                Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 10.20.18 am.png

And here is the text precomped then mask added and  path pasted in correct position.  If this works differently for you can you please post a picture of it so I can have a look.
                Screen Shot 2015-07-20 at 10.24.19 am.png

• 5. Re: mask path pasting to wrong place
                  Arrakis Level 1

I just made the emitter, the particular layer and the texts the same position and then it works correctly however I dont want to do this because I need the text to be where I need it to be.  The only way is to pre comp the text before making the masks.  This is ok but doesn't explain how yesterday I did not have to do this??

• 6. Re: mask path pasting to wrong place

You are still not following the right workflow. There's a tutorial I knocked out uploading to YouTube right now.

Here's the steps:

1. Create your text layer
                    2. Position, rotate, scale your text layer to fit your design
                    3. Create Mask from Text using the layer menu
                    4. Select the path you want to use for the motion path
                    5. Verify the first vertex of that path and change if necessary
                    6. Select the position property you want to follow the path (Particular>Emitter>XY Position) and set a keyframe
                    7. Paste
                    8. The position property will move counter clockwise. If you want it to go the other way use the keyframe assistant to time reverse the keyframes.

That's all there is to it. You plan, design, create your mask layer, set the first vertex, copy a mask keyframe, set a position keyframe and paste and you're done.

Sometime soon I'll post a whole series of better produced short tutorials on the basic workflow you should follow to use AE efficiently and professionally.

• 7. Re: mask path pasting to wrong place
                      Arrakis Level 1

Ok thanks Rick for your help.  I will try this.

• 8. Re: mask path pasting to wrong place
                        Arrakis Level 1

The tut cleared everything up.  Thanks.