5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2015 12:25 PM by A.T. Romano

error message : compressor / decompressor (codec) installed

Andrew8765

within the elements organiser, it refuses to play my Video (MTS) files from my Panasonic Camera. I upgraded to elements 12 and moved my catalogue from my old desktop to a laptop at same time. Everything played under V10 on my desktop but it wont work on laptop on V12. If I launch the premiere elements program, it will paly the video but not in the organiser. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: error message : compressor / decompressor (codec) installed
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

Each of the Elements Organizer versions has its own issues.

Have you updated Premiere Elements 12 and Elements Organizer 12 to 12.1 yet using Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that.

What computer operating system is involved? What is the model/settings of the Panasonic camera that recorded the video?

What are the details of

a. Do you get a thumbnail for the .mts imported into the Elements Organizer 12/12.1? Is the thumbnail content gray or an image from the file?

b. If you do get a thumbnail, when you double click it, what will not play back....video and audio or one or the other?

I recently posted a limited comparison of the same files (.mts and .mp4) as imports into Elements Organizer 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 on the same Windows 7 64 bit computer. Version 12/12.1 did not fare well in the comparison. Version 13/13.1 did well. I will go looking for that thread and post a link to it if I can find it. It was posted fairly recently.

In most cases, this is a "it is what it is" matter. But, let us see where the specifics of your situation lead us. I am assuming that you have right click the Elements Organizer thumbnails involved and selected Update Thumbnail and you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer on which Premiere Elements is installed.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: error message : compressor / decompressor (codec) installed
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew8765

Add On...the following is the link to the recent thread to which I referred in my post 1.

Re: Thumbnails for MTS and MP4 files are not showing up in Organizer.

The originator of that thread has the ID of andrewe2. I note that you use Andrew8765. Are you, Andrew8765, the same andrewe2?

ATR

• 3. Re: error message : compressor / decompressor (codec) installed
              Andrew8765 Level 1

both are 12.1

windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

Panasonic DMC-TZ10

No thumbnail for the video files - have tried update thumbnail but it doesn't work.

wont play video or audio

Latest version of QuickTime is installed (although just had to un-install and re-intall iTunes as stopped recognising the phone). Quick Time appears to load and work fine.

• 4. Re: error message : compressor / decompressor (codec) installed
                Andrew8765 Level 1

no, we are not the same andrew

• 5. Re: error message : compressor / decompressor (codec) installed
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew8765

Thanks for the replies.

I have gone to the Internet and found one AVCHD.mts file from a Panasonic DMC-TZ10 camera (only one found so far is 1280 x 720 @ 25 progressive frames per second).

I have Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 on the same Windows 7 64 bit computer. I imported the file into each of the Elements Organizers.

The file imported OK, but resulted in a gray thumbnail in the Elements Organizer workspace.

In each case, when I right click the Elements Organizer gray thumbnail, it gave the thumbnail with image from file in it.

In each case, I could double click the Elements Organizer's thumbnail and get video and audio playback in its player.

I did not that the file used Dolby Digital (AC-3) audio compression Stereo. You could try download and installing a free AC-3 codec to determine if that resolved the issue.

You could consider creating a new catalog (File Menu/Manage Catalogs/Catalog Manager and the New option.

or

Deleting the Elements Organizer settings file (psa.prf)

in order to determine if either of those has any impact on the issue.

If indicated, I will look for some Panasonic DMC-TZ10 samples that better match what you are using. Later today I will try to take a look at this on my Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Please consider.

ATR