14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2015 1:16 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem installing Premiere 11

paulandrewscott

I purchased Premiere Elements 11 in 2013 and installed it on my desktop (Windows 7 Home Premium).  Now I want to install the software on my daughter's laptop which also runs Windows 7 Home Premium.  The install does not complete.  It will ask for a language preference, then ask for permission to make changes to the computer, and then a pop-up window appears with what appears to be a list of shortcut commands.  The install stop at that point.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You MUST be running the computer using an Administrator account to have full permissions

Also, Doing Run as Administrator for the install program http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 [says Encore and also for "All" versions of Premiere] will sometimes fix "odd" errors

• 2. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
            A.T. Romano Level 7

paulandrewscott

It will ask for a language preference, then ask for permission to make changes to the computer, and then a pop-up window appears with what appears to be a list of shortcut commands.

To me everything sounds OK up to the part about the appearance of a list of short commands. Any chance you posting a screenshot of those commands or writing some of them into a reply in this thread.

The specified item was not found.

You should be doing the install as administrator, with Internet connection, and meeting System Requirements.

System requirements | Adobe Premiere Elements

Although running as administrator is important, as well as latest version of QuickTime being installed on your computer with Premiere Elements, I would need to know what these shortcuts are that present when the 11 install fails before suggesting solution(s).

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
              paulandrewscott Level 1

This is the pop-up window that appears when the install freezes.

• 4. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

paulandrewscott

Thanks for the screenshot.

I have never seen that before.

How are you installing the product - from installation files purchased as download from Adobe or from installation disc from purchased box packaging of the product? Do you have some special version of Premiere Elements 11, example student-teacher version? Are you using any special installation techniques other than typical install from installation files or installation disc?

Please review and consider, and give more details of the install related to what I have asked above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                  paulandrewscott Level 1

I am installing the product from an Adobe installation disc.  The version of Premiere Elements is "Elements 11".  There is currently an Elements 13 on the market.  Nothing special about the disc.  It was purchased on-line from Amazon.  I am attempting a typical installation technique.

I also tried installing the software in a "simplified" mode.  I used instructions from Adobe to do so.  The same result as when I tried installing from the disc.

• 6. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

paulandrewscott

Thanks for the reply.

How about if we try this. Do not use your installation disc, just your purchased serial number.

Adobe allows you to use the same purchased activated serial number on no more than 2 of your computers. Just not supposed to use both at the same time.

Download and install Premiere Elements 11 from either of the following and insert your purchased serial number in them during installation.

Other downloads

or

Photoshop Elements 11 Direct Download Links: Free Trials, Premiere | ProDesignTools

Please let us know if either of those work for you.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....please confirm that you got the same Windows Installer dialog no matter what you did with regard to 11 installation with your installation disc.

• 7. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                      paulandrewscott Level 1

I will try the download using the serial number as you suggest.

To confirm: I got the same Windows Installer dialog box when I tried a typical installation from the disc and again when I tried the installation in the "simplified" mode.

• 8. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

paulandrewscott

Thanks for follow up on the download of those installation files.

Please do the download and install with antivirus and firewalls disabled if you were not going to do that.

Looking forward to your results when your schedule permits.

ATR

• 9. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                          paulandrewscott Level 1

Well, no luck.  I downloaded the 2 files for Windows 7 64-bit OS.  Tried the install and received the same pop-up window.  Frustrating.

• 10. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

paulandrewscott

Thanks for the update. Since I wrote last, I have been researching msiexec which point to Windows Installer 5.0.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/314881

Command-Line Options (Windows)

Why you are encountering it for the 11 install on your daughter's computer and not yours is beyond me at this point. I have not seen it on Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bit, Window 7 Professional SP1 64 bit, or Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit while installing Premiere Elements programs from 2 to 13.

Just wondering, if you go to Administrative Tools/Services/Windows Installer, is that service started or stopped at this time?

More research on my part might clarify the situation. A visit to Microsoft forum should surely clarify.

I need to figure out how to control Windows Installer 5.0 if you have it on your computer.

ATR

• 11. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                              paulandrewscott Level 1

I modified my Start menu so that I can view the Administrative Tools menu.  When I select Services, "Windows Installer" is listed.  Under "Status," there is no entry. Under "Startup Type," it says Manual.

• 12. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

paulandrewscott

WindowInstaller.JPG

This is from my Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit computer Administrative Tools/Services/Windows Installer. Service Status = Stopped.

If your Service Status = Stopped or there is nothing there, then click the Start button to determine if that action will place Service Status = Started. You can always change this back later if you want.

ATR

• 13. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                                  paulandrewscott Level 1

I clicked on Windows Installer and clicked on the Start button.  Service Status now reads "Started."  I tried the install again.  Same Windows Installer pop-up window.

• 14. Re: Problem installing Premiere 11
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

paulandrewscott

At this point, I am guessing at possible fixes for your situation. As said, I have never run into the situation that you described.

I would have hoped that the solution would have been as easy a starting the Windows Installer services under Administrative Tools/Services. That was not the case. I searched for generalized articles on repair a possible Windows Installer failure. Lots of articles, but I am not sure what to do with them. Can you make choices in the Windows Installer 5.0 dialog that looks like

If you have not already,

a. create a new user account with administrative privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 11 there.

or

b. if it is worthwhile, take the Windows computer back to the factory settings according to the computer manufacturer's directions.

If all else fails, can you get input from a local computer shop with which you do business?

ATR