4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 11:34 AM by A.T. Romano

Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Adobe Photo Downloader freezes!

Lemonhead89

Hey everyone!

So, I'm asking this on behalf of my dad who needs help with Adobe Premiere Elements 8 (I myself don't use any photo/video editing program).

What my dad needs help with is that each time he tries to transfer data from his videocamera (Sony Handycam HDR-PJ810) into Adobe Premiere Elements 8, the program freezes. So the initial step he does is to connect the camera to the PC (a regular personal computer, no mac) via a USB-port on the front of the chassi. Then he starts Adobe Premiere Elements 8, and creates a new project. When the program window opens up and you are given full access to all customizations of the program, he goes to the "file" tab at the upper border of the window, and navigates down to the "transfer media from"-button. A new, smaller window appears, in which he can choose what type of camera or other device he wants to import data from, and smaller options of how he wants to do it (for example in which folder he wants the data extracted into). However, when he opens the window in which he chooses which device he wants to import data from, and chooses the Sony Handycam HDR-PJ810, an error-message appears which says that "Adobe Photo Downloader has stopped working". You can then either close the program, which returns you to the main window of Adobe Premiere Elements 8, or you can wait til the program has finished "searching for solutions", which always ends with it not being able to find any, after which you are only left with the option of closing the window and once again ending up at the main window of Adobe Premiere Elements 8. This doesn't only happen when you choose the Sony Handycam HDR-PJ810, but with any other choice of device. So it seems that merely prompting the program to ask which device you want to import data from, and then choosing whatever from the list of alternatives, makes Adobe Photo Downloader freeze.

So yeah, I hope I explained it sufficiently enough so that you understand what kind of problem me and my dad has, and hopefully also a solution that you're willing to share as well!

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Adobe Photo Downloader freezes!
          A.T. Romano Level 7

lemonhead89 and father

What are the recording setting for your Sony camera?

Premiere Elements 8 does have its limitations when trying to use it to edit AVCHD video. You need to

a. be working from the 8.0.1 Update Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Windows : Adobe Premiere Elements 8.0.1 update

and

b. have the automatic background rendering and autoanalyzer features disabled...major grabbers of computer resources that will bring the program down if left enabled....automatic background rendering should be taken care of by the 8.0.1 Update, but you can double check its status in Premiere Elements Editor workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General....autoanalyzer is disabled in the Elements Organizer workspace's Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options.

and

c. other, related to Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 running as 32 bit application in 64 bit system as well as 32 bit application in a 32 bit system...has implications in trying to get a larger project done successfully.

But, from your description, I think that you immediate issue goes to the setup of the project and your choice of Get Media. Let me explain....

1. When you open a new project, you are greeted by the new project dialog. There you set the project preset (project settings) to match the properties of your source video as best you can. If you do not, you will be running the project with default NTSC DV Standard (if NTSC setup). What are you setting as the project preset?

2. Then what are doing after you set the project preset correctly and go to Get Media. You write

when he opens the window in which he chooses which device he wants to import data from, and chooses the Sony Handycam HDR-PJ810, an error-message appears which says that "Adobe Photo Downloader has stopped working"

Are you going File Menu/Get Media from/Tapeless Camcorder (Hard Disk or memory) and accessing the "Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader"?

And, in the Media Downloader are you seeing and selecting your camera in the Get Media from field?

Let us start here and then move on based on the details of your reply. Depending on the results, we might consider transferring the camera's video to the computer hard drive and then importing it from there into Premiere Elements project using Premiere Elements Get Media/Files and Folders.

ATR

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Adobe Photo Downloader freezes!
            A.T. Romano Level 7

lemonhead89 and father

Add On....referring back to my post 1, I am not sure how Adobe Photo Downloader got into the act? I would have expected Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader.

e

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Adobe Photo Downloader freezes!
              Lemonhead89 Level 1

Hi there A.T. Romano!

Thank you so much for taking the time to answering my question! I'm sorry I've been a little late with my response.

The good news is that we've managed to solve the problem by simply doing a formation of the computer, and then re-installing Adobe Premiere Elements. However, before we formatted the computer, and before the problem with Premiere Elements that I described in my opening post arose, Premiere Elements did work flawlessly for a time. That's why it was such a surprise to my dad when the program just started freezing when he wanted to transfer media from his camera to the computer via Premiere Elements, since it had not happaned before. Therefore, even though we solved the problem by formatting the computer, I'm still worried that the problem will arise again, and so learning of how to fix it would be very helpful.

If I understand your question correctly, I believe the recording setting on the camera is to record onto the memory stick in the camera. When searching for upgrades for Premiere Elements, the program says it's up to date with the latest updates, so I assume that takes care of point a). As for point b), it sounds very plausible that that could have been an issue before the formatation. The computer was very slow, see. Now, however, it sped up remarkably. I'll be sure to remember that if the problem occurs again.

As far as point 1) is going, when starting a new project, I leave it to be running with the default preset. I suppose that could have been a source of the problem as well. Then again, it seems to be working now. Still, that sounds definitely as something I should try to configure as minutely as possible to avoid any confusion for the program. As for point 2), I go to File Menu/Get Media from/DVD camera (or the option related to a dvd camera, I don't have the program in front of me at the moment, so I can't check what is says in detail, sorry). See, the option with the DVD camera was the only option that seemes to recognize that Sony Handycam HDR-PJ810 was inserted into the computers USB-port. None of the other options seemed to recognize that the device was present and connected to the computer. This is what I'm doing in what I suppose to be the "Adobe Premiere Elements - Media Downloader"-window you mention. After all, I am selecting the camera in a "field" that opens when i click on it.

Seeing as the problem has solved itself for the time being, I cannot do anything other than follow your recommendations on how I should operate the program in order to get it to work as properly as possible, like when I should disable the automatic background rendering and autoanalyzer features. I cannot apply your recommendations directly on the original issue first-hand as it is now though. However, should the problem arise again, I will check everything you asked me to, and if it still doesn't work, I will most certainly return here and see if you or anyone else is still willing to answer my questions!

You've been a great help A.T. Romano. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I truly, truly appreciate it!

Cheers!

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 8 - Adobe Photo Downloader freezes!
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Lemonhead89

Thanks for the reply.

Granted that Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 can have problems with the larger size projects in which AVCHD video is being edited and exported, you can still get excellent results within certain limits. And, you need to define those limits which may not be the same for you as others.

1. What is your Sony recording....the video compression appears to be AVCHD, but what is the rest

1920 x 1080p60 or p30 or p24 or something else

what is the file extension of the file

What is your estimated duration for the completed Timeline - 60, 90, or more minutes?

Once we know that information, then we can advise on project preset and other...I suspect the project preset is going to be

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

which can still be used even if you need a project preset with a progressive frame rate and there is not one offered.

2. I would prefer to look at a Share/Personal Computer/MPEG export (HD MPEG2.mpg) rather than Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media.

But, do we know at this point what you want your export to be? Are you aiming at burn to DVD-VIDEO widescreen or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc.

Depending on the size of the project, computer resources may be your greatest enemy - editing AVCHD a high resource demanding format and in a 32 bit application such as version 8.0/8.0.1. Depending on how matters proceed, you might consider converting the AVCHD to HD MPEG2 before import into the project. Keeping all in mind, you should get excellent results from 8.0/8.0.1.

Please supply more details of your import, and we will go over the above in more detail.

Please remind me, is your present computer with 8.0/8.0.1 a 32 bit or 64 bit Windows system?

We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR