2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 9:40 AM by frankypiccolo

Smooth tracking?

frankypiccolo Level 1

Hello!

Using AEs built in motion tracker works great, but there's a slight wiggeling which makes it look really bad. Here's a video of my problem: Tracking3 - YouTube

I tried using smooth(), but that makes it worse. Any ideas of how to get rid of the slight wiggeling? I've tried using different points with high contrast, but I can't get it better than the video above.

Kind regards!

• 1. Re: Smooth tracking?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These kind of tracking problems are common when the tracking target is too small and the cameras have rolling shutter and shock vibration problems that foul up the source video. Electronic image stabilization can also introduce weird motion artifacts. Fortunately, if the errors are not too bad the problems can be fairly easily corrected.

The first thing you need to do is repair the rolling shutter problems with your video and stabilize the shot. The Warp Stabilizer should do a good job. I might also add CC Force Motion Blur to the project. Then you would render an image sequence or a production format movie of your stabilized and repaired footage. Then you would track that making sure that you picked a big enough tracking target to get a solid track. Then you carefully verify the track inside AE or Mocha, or how ever you track the shot and you then redo your project using the repaired footage. BTW I would track nearly this entire area to include the keyhole shaped area instead of just a corner. You can put your attach point anywhere, but track more of the image.

Screen Shot 2015-07-19 at 7.46.52 PM.png

It's my standard practice to repair any footage that was shot with electronic stabilization and/or with a camera that has a rolling shutter before I do any tracking. If possible I also correct for lens distortion. Then I work with a DI (digital intermediate) that is either an image sequence or production format video that is at least 10 bit color and 4:4:4 chroma sampling. You would be amazed at how much difference that makes.

• 2. Re: Smooth tracking?
            frankypiccolo Level 1

Thanks a lot Rick! It looks much smoother now: Tracking - YouTube. Mocha AE is quite a lot better!