5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 6:18 AM by rob day

Need help with image resolution issues printing to PDF

susanb23057128 Level 1

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the InDesign or Acrobat forum. I'm new at InDesign and have been learning as I go, so I'm sure I'm not doing something correctly.

I'm creating a children's book. My images are 300 dpi. I am placing them into the document without resizing them. They look perfect. But the preflight and Createspace previewer says that three of the full page images have a resolution less than 200 DPI. Two others I did make a bit smaller and they are also coming up as low resolution.

Do you have any suggestions on how to figure out why these others are coming out as lo res?

Thanks,

Susan

• 1. Re: Need help with image resolution issues printing to PDF
          Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

There are a number of issues here.

(1)  If your original images placed into InDesign have an effective resolution (after whatever scaling you do of the imagery in InDesign) of less than 200 DPI, there is nothing you can do about it other than retrieving higher resolution versions of such imagery from wherever you sourced the images. Yes, you could conceivably edit the images in Photoshop and increase the resolution, but that process doesn't do anything better than what the printer's RIP/DFE will do at print time anyway.

(2)  You didn't specify the joboptions that you used for creating the PDF. If those joboptions call for downsampling imagery, that could be the issue.

(3)  You mentioned “printing to PDF.” Hopefully that isn't what you are doing. The recommended procedure for producing PDF from InDesign is via the export function, more explicitly export PDF (print). The print function from InDesign was not designed for PDF creation and one of the options in the print menu (for optimal subsampling, if I recall correctly), will lower image resolution. Use Export!!!!!!

- Dov

• 2. Re: Need help with image resolution issues printing to PDF
            susanb23057128 Level 1

Hi Dov,

1. Original images are 300 dpi

2. Created a special job.option from press quality where i changed downsample to none.

3. But i have been using print! So i will try export.

Can you please tell me which settings you recommend?

Thanks,

Susan

• 4. Re: Need help with image resolution issues printing to PDF
              susanb23057128 Level 1

Thanks.The good news is that I didn't get the errors with the images!!!!

But it is a spread, so I need to change that. I will try the option you suggested, Bob.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Need help with image resolution issues printing to PDF
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1. Original images are 300 dpi

You have account for scaling images in the page layout, which is shown as Effective Resolution in the Links or Info panels when you select an image. The effective resolution is the resolution used when you export, so an image with an effective resolution of 452ppi would export unchanged if your Export>Compression Setting is Do Not Downsample. Otherwise it will be down sampled to the number you choose assuming it's less than 452ppi