3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 6:45 AM by Rick Gerard

How to get text to fall off screen?

Microbaphomet

Hello, I'm pretty new at  After Effects, however, I'm trying to make a title sequence for my short film. I want to have the words on screen, get cut in half and then the bottom of the word fall to the bottom of the screen. I've figured out how to do everything except for the last part. I know there is the "Raining Characters Out" effect which is similar to what I'm trying to accomplish but I don't want all the extra characters, just the letters for the word I wrote. The only thing I can think of now is to have to make individual letters and animate them manually, which is a lot more work than I would like to do, considering the amount of words I need to animate.

If there is another program that I could use to do this easier than after effects I can switch over. I would just really like to be able to pull off this effect.

• 1. Re: How to get text to fall off screen?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

If there is another program that I could use to do this easier than after effects

Easier as in "I want to do everything with one layer and one comp"? Then you might give up right now as well. Sorry, this is not how stuff works regardless of what program. Putting in some effort is part of making visual effects. Not everything can be a one-click solution. In your case the effect could be done easily enough by pre-composing your text slates and using duplicates of the pre-comp cut in half - one to make things tumble e.g. using the shatter effect, the other to keep the top half in place.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to get text to fall off screen?
            Microbaphomet Level 1

I just meant easier has in "I really don't want to animate 500 letters manually if I don't have to". I can get words to fall on to the screen one letter at a time with no issue, just not already be on screen and fall off.

I will try the shatter effect though, thank you.

• 3. Re: How to get text to fall off screen?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You jus t need two copies of your text with a mask that cuts the letters in half. Then you apply a text animator to the bottom half copy and animate the position or other properties to get the text to fall off the bottom of the screen as you animate the range selector.

That means two layers for each line of text. You just can't do it with one layer for each line of text.