7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 12:32 PM by Willi Adelberger

hi i need to know how to write arabic text with indesign cc 2015

productionm83484901

hi i need to know how to write arabic text with indesign cc 2015

• 1. Re: hi i need to know how to write arabic text with indesign cc 2015
          Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In what context? Do you need to be able to set whole documents in Arabic or just certain words or phrases?

• 2. Re: hi i need to know how to write arabic text with indesign cc 2015
            Diane Burns Adobe Community Professional

Assuming you do not have the Arabic version of InDesign, you need to apply to World Ready composer, and change the direction of the text to RTL (from LTR that English and other Euro languages use).

One way is to do the following:

1. Make a text frame

2. Hold down Command/Ctrl key and go to Type > Fill with Placeholder text. You will then get a dialog that lets you choose language. Choose Arabic. This introduces the correct composer and direction in that text frame.

3. You can then select this text and replace with Arabic text.

(If you are going to be writing the Arabic text, you'll need to have Arabic input turned on in your OS.)

• 3. Re: hi i need to know how to write arabic text with indesign cc 2015
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

As you are a CC subscriber you can install the Arabic version additionally without any cost:

1. Install your primary version (e.g. English or German)
              2. Go to the CC Desktop Application, Gear Symbol > Preferences
              3. Change the Application Language to Arabic (or whatever language you want)
              4. Install your applications again
              5. Change back the CC DEsktop Application to your primary language
              6. Start InDesign.

Now InDesign has additional functions which help to work with Arabic texts, and the menus and the User Interface are still in your primary language.

Depending on the paragraph styles settings you can input in Englisch or Arabic. Take care, not only the language is affected.

• 4. Re: hi i need to know how to write arabic text with indesign cc 2015

dianeburns1 schrieb:

Assuming you do not have the Arabic version of InDesign, you need to apply to World Ready composer, and change the direction of the text to RTL (from LTR that English and other Euro languages use).

One way is to do the following:

1. Make a text frame

2. Hold down Command/Ctrl key and go to Type > Fill with Placeholder text. You will then get a dialog that lets you choose language. Choose Arabic. This introduces the correct composer and direction in that text frame.

3. You can then select this text and replace with Arabic text.

(If you are going to be writing the Arabic text, you'll need to have Arabic input turned on in your OS.)

Nope, I can't agree. This answer would be partially correct up to the CS 5.5. See my other answer.

• 6. Re: hi i need to know how to write arabic text with indesign cc 2015
                  Diane Burns Adobe Community Professional

The best solution for you depends on your situation.

If you are typesetting large amounts of Arabic text or mostly Arabic text, then you should definitely install the Arabic version as Willi outlines.

However, if you need to include Arabic occasionally, or just small phrases, I do not recommend you install the Arabic version. It introduces default settings that must be changed for left-to-right languages such as English. Instead, my technique is the best solution. It works perfectly through CC 2015. (Will, I'm not sure why you indicate it's only available through 5.5; if I'm missing something, please let us know.)

Finally, to complete the conversation, we must mention the third option, and the one which my design firm, which specializes in multi-lingual publishing, often uses: the World Tools plug in. http://in-tools.com/products/plugins/world-tools/. With this solution, you keep the settings as they are for your language, but the plug in lets you introduce not only the basic direction and composer settings (as with my technique), but other features for Arabic typesetting such as numbering and so forth. If you are going to be typesetting Asian languages as well, the Pro version of World Tools works beautifully.

• 7. Re: hi i need to know how to write arabic text with indesign cc 2015

One thing changed: Since CS6 (Cloud Version only) you can install the Arabic or Hebrew os any other language without additional cost.