10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 2:52 PM by A.T. Romano

encoder activation for Pre Ele 12

davidd37295220

I cant burn to DVD. I have to enable encoder?

• 1. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

davidd

Please explain.

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates?

What are doing

a. Burn to DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc

or

b. Burn to AVCHD on DVD disc?

Are you getting a particular error message associated with the burn to failure?

Are you getting burn to failures with burn to disc as well as burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)?

1. Is your computer connected to the Internet?

2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements? And, are you running the programs as administrator?

3. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewalls disabled.

When you wrote

I have to enable encoder?

Did you write that because you were getting a specific MPEG2 Activation required message or did you just offer that as a possible fix for your burn to situation?

Let us start here and then decide what next. Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
            davidd37295220 Level 1

Running on PC Windows 7.

No update, just retail version.

I uploaded AVCHD files, edited, then hit render. It renders for a few minutes then gives me this error message;

"You must activate this component to use this feature"  MPEG-2 component. Then lists Serial No.

Says "Go to this website www.adobe...."

This software is on a stand alone computer. I went to Internet, put code in, it wont give activation No.

Latest QT installed I think. Running as user, but can switch to admin.

We paid good money for this software, full retail version through authorized dealer. We activated it initially using serial no. and it worked. Why now is it throwing up an error message when we try to use a feature???

• 4. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

davidd

Always run as administrative especially for something like this. Start here.....Set so that you are running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. Is the Premiere Elements issue gone.

Details...

At program installation, there is a general activation of the program when you have Signed In with your serial number - an Internet connection working.

But, there are certain features of the program that require a first time one time activation after that. One of these is MPEG2 Activation. Typical this is done essentially seamlessly with the Internet connection established.

If necessary, please do the following...

a. Right click the desktop icon for Premiere Elements 12, select and apply Run As Administrator.

and

b. Perhaps an overkill, but....

Go to Local Disk C\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 12\ and in the Adobe Premiere Elements 12 Folder, find specifically the file named Adobe Premiere Elements.exe. Right click the file and select and apply Run As Administrator. Then double click the file and determine if the program opens to the its workspaces. Then determine if the problem is gone.

ATR

Add On...This not Adobe. Rather essentially a public user to user forum. Please do not include any personal information including serial numbers and the like related to your product.

• 5. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
                davidd37295220 Level 1

So there is no answer to WHY I have to go online to activate certain features within the program, after activating when I purchased it? How many more times using this software will I have to stop and spend (today alone) over 2 hours trying to resolve????

As I stated this is on a govt. stand alone computer (not Internet connected). So yes, I suppose my install is "not typical".

I logged on as admin. and tried to render the project. I got the same error message. So now what?

I've also been informed my Adobe on line support that I should "create an ISO of the project and then burn it to DVD using third party software" Seriously? So why did we buy Premiere Elements then? (If you'd like to read full 2 hour transcript I can e-mail it to you).

I challenge anyone at Adobe to step up and resolve this problem. Anyone.

• 6. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

davidd

Thanks for the follow up with the critical information that I did not see you mention previously....

As I stated this is on a govt. stand alone computer (not Internet connected). So yes, I suppose my install is "not typical".

All I remember seeing was

This software is on a stand alone computer. I went to Internet, put code in, it wont give activation No.

That did not stand out to me as you not being connected to the Internet which readily explains why you are getting this one time first time activation message after the program has been initially installed and activated. Logging on as administrator was a suggestion when I believed that you were working with an Internet connection. I cannot say for sure when and if you will get another of this type of messages for something else that you are using for the first time and requires feature activation. Standalone computer could be interpreted as not being connected to an school system or company network.

I am not Adobe. Rather user to user. I am not affiliated with Adobe in anyway. I am a visitor here like yourself with a lot of experience with these programs.

I will leave the matter of your MPEG2 activation as it is what it is if you are working without an Internet connection.

Now back to the matter of Premiere Elements 12/12.1 and you not being able to obtain a successful burn to disc DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen or AVCHD on DVD disc. Whatever the case, Premiere Elements 12/12.1 does not offer burn to ISO Image for either of these choices. So, I am not sure why someone would suggest that you burn your Timeline content to an ISO Image with Premiere Elements 12/12.1. Premiere Elements 12/12.1 does not have that choice. As a troubleshooting tool when there is a burn to disc problem the suggestion is to burn to folder - Folder 4.7 GB or Folder 8.5 GB). Those results would separate out a burner compatibility issue and/or disc problem and point more effectively to the cause of the problem. If you were in a time crunch and the problem was not yet resolved, then you could take the VIDEO_TS Folder (DVD-VIDEO) or BDMV Folder (AVCHD) to disc with a free 3rd party software named ImgBurn.

The frequency of the Adobe presence in this forum is undefined. If you want to get started troubleshooting your burn to disc issue in the forum, I will go the extra mile to try to help you do that. So far, I do not think that we have gotten beyond MPEG2 activation and no Internet connection.

The answers will be in the details, starting with burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc?

ATR

• 7. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
                    davidd37295220 Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for your responses. It has been VERY frustrating trying to contact Adobe about this, as they offer no phone support for Prem. Elem., and the on line chat from Adobe pretty much told me it wont work, and that's that. They had no other suggestion. We're just out of luck. Thanks Adobe!

The suggestion to save to an ISO and burn with third party software was suggested by Adobe chat help.

What I've done so far is load in 4 AVCHD clips from the video camera, made some quick edits, and then just wanted to burn a standard DVD disc. When I go to "publish + share" then Disc> burn DVD, Blu Ray , AVCHD. That opens a dialog box, "DISC: Choose location and settings" I click DVD, and all the other boxes look correct. BUT the button on the bottom "Burn" is always greyed out. Not an option to use it. Then I hit the Render button, it starts for a few minutes, and then gives me the encoder error; authentication needed. And that's where everything stops.

I am new to this, and the reason we bought the Elements version was (supposedly) for it's simplicity. Bad idea I see now.

I appreciate your help and feedback.

• 8. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

davidd

Thanks for the reply with follow up. Glad to be of assistance.

1. Go to the burn dialog of your project (DVD disc is in the burner tray)...

a. In the field that is gives for "burn to", if you set that for Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB), do you have an active Burn button at the bottom of that burn dialog?

b. If you do not have an active Burn button when "burn to" is set to disc, then I would ask you to look at the Burner Location field. Do you see the name of the burner into which you have inserted the DVD disc?

c. When the Burn button is inactive, what does the Status field show in the burn dialog?

Also where is this happening

Then I hit the Render button, it starts for a few minutes, and then gives me the encoder error; authentication needed. And that's where everything stops

Where is this Render button that you are hitting? Whether or not you are connected to the Internet, does the above happen?

Let us rule in or out any factors related to the above, and then we will dig deeper into the situation to resolve it.

Do not give up.

ATR

• 9. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
                        davidd37295220 Level 1

Ok, I did two things; I went to the box and checked the burn to folder 4.7 option. It took a while, but worked. I then used third party software to burn to DVD. It plays fine. I then chose to burn direct to DVD, which wasn't greyed out (it must not have been working before since there was no DVD in the tray). It burned fine.

So far so good.

I have a million questions about AVCHD, ISO files, compression, etc. Could you help me with some of those as well?

Thank you so much for your help!

• 10. Re: encoder activation for Pre Ele 12
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

davidd

Wonderful news. And, thank you for staying with the troubleshooting suggestions. Appreciated.

There is no option to take your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Timeline content to burn to ISO Image as there is in 13. But, the 13 ISO Image is seriously flawed for AVCHD and Blu-ray .iso file end product. When the end product .iso file has a file size greater than about 1 GB and is taken to disc with a 3rd party software, the player does not recognize the disc.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

If you have any questions about your Premiere Elements workflows and the topics that you mentioned, please ask.

Very pleased with your progress. Congratulations. Well done.

ATR