4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 2:40 PM by RoninEdits

New System Setup advice for superior performance

drrotto

Hello,

We are currently building our master systems to be duplicated to the rest of our university labs and classroom for the fall semester.

The Macs are:

iMac with Retina 5K display  

• 4.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.4GHz  
      • 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB  
      • 1TB Fusion Drive 
      • AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5  

The PC's are:

Dell Precision Tower 5810 XCTO Base (210-ACQM)

32GB (4x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC (370-ABUP)

Dual Nvidia Quadro K4200 4GB (2 DP, DL-DVI-I) (2 DP to SL-DVI adapter) (490-BCCN)

8x Slimline DVD+/-RW Drive (429-AAPE)

Intel Xeon Processor E5-1650 v3 (Six Core HT, 15MB Cache, 3.5GHz Turbo) (338-BFJF)

3.5 inch 1TB SATA 7.2k RPM HDD (401-AAMI)

We will be using Adobe CC (Premier, AE, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, Lightroom, etc) on both PC and Macs.

Also, Final Cut Pro 10 on the IMacs, Autodesk Mays/3DS max on PC's, Pro Tools on PC's , Avid Media Composer on IMacs)  

I just wanted to know, any setting advice so we can get the best possible performance from these systems (especially  the dual graphics cards), or build advice, anything that will help to improve performance and take advance of the hardware that maybe we are not thinking of.

Thank you, and have a nice day,

Richard

• 1. Re: New System Setup advice for superior performance
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why would you want Quadro's on the PC's?  Quadro's are only useful if you have expensive 10-bit monitors. One GTX 980 Ti will out run those two K4200's

Why a single >E5-1650 v3 Xeon?  The only advantage of the Xeons is if you are going to use two of them.

Get modern and go SSD on the PC's, also you really need two disk drives for the Adobe suite

Edit:  Your mediocre CPU will not be powerful enough to warrant more than one K4200 or probably one GTX 970

• 2. Re: New System Setup advice for superior performance
            drrotto Level 1

Hello,

Thank you for the response. We actually already have these systems, so changes cannot be made.

Unfortunately, as a state school, we have limitations as to what we can buy in terms of systems and from which suppliers.

In terms of the graphics cards, the GTX 980 Ti is unavailable as a choice from available build options for the Dell workstations.

For the process, again, the Xeons are the only ones available for the Dell workstations.

Ahh, the main drive for the PC's doesn't seem to have made my cut/paste its a

2.5 inch 512GB SATA SSD        The 7200 is the second drive.

Thanks,

Richard

• 3. Re: New System Setup advice for superior performance
              drrotto Level 1

Hello,

I replied to the page, so that everyone could see our thoughts.

Thanks for the quick reply, I hope we can maximize performance of these systems so students have an excellent experience.

Have a great day,

Richard

Dr. Richard F. Otto

Chairperson

Department of Digital Media Technologies

East Stroudsburg University

• 4. Re: New System Setup advice for superior performance
                RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

if you have a budget to upgrade the pc's, you could consider adding samsung 850 pro ssd's, one for media and another for cache. if that's not an option, you could place the cache for the programs on the ssd and the media on the hdd. premiere should use the two gpu's, but the rest of those adobe programs may only use one, which should still be plenty of power for those apps. using a gpu based renderer that supports dual gpu's for maya and 3ds max, will get the most out of the dual gpu's.