3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 7:25 PM by A.T. Romano

How do I remove black border around video

Pulfnick

Three questions actually,

I'm using Premiere Elements 13.1, updated, with Windows 8.1

1. Premiere Elements crashed while operating normally as I was using it.  I tried repeatedly to get it to open again but it would not, even after restarting.  I then deleted it and reinstalled it, getting a message the install was successful.  Now it starts to come up but very soon gives the error:  Adobe Premiere Elements.exe - No Disk     "There is no disk in the drive.  Please insert a disk into drive E."  I have no drive E.  After I click this several times, it comes back up.  But when I try to burn a DVD, it crashes totally.  How can I get it running again?

2.  The video has a wide black margin all around it.  How can I get the video to fill the screen?      I'm working with segments I preliminarily prepared and then exported (as MPEG2 files I believe) and then imported back and assembled.  My presets were always NTSC DV Standard, forcing this, when I edited each segment.  I don't expect this to entirely fill a screen like a 16:9, but want the video to at least occupy the entire vertical space available.

3.  Now when I try to burn a DVD it crashes after I click the Publish+Share/ burn DVD icon.  It's dead at that point. 

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How do I remove black border around video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

You (manually) or the project (automatically) needs to set the project preset (project settings) at the onset to match the properties of the source files.

What are the properties of the source file? If you do not know

a. tell us the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video

or

b. import the file into the Expert workspace Project Assets...right click the thumbnail for the file there and select Properties...what do you see for frame size, frame rate, and pixel aspect ratio?

As for the burn to DVD...

a. look at the burn to with and without the "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher" preference....what is your video card/graphics card?

b. if you cannot burn to disc, can you burn to folder - Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)?

c. what is your burn to DVD....DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD on DVD disc?

If you have 4:3 source, you should be aiming for 4:3 burn to.

If you have 16:9 source, you should be aiming for 16:9 burn to.

Please review, consider, and supply more information. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I remove black border around video
            Pulfnick Level 1

You helped me earlier with this same project: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7738099#7738099 Following your suggestions, I got everything done. I was able to burn a test DVD with my video, titles, transformations, and all.

My source files were VCR tapes digitized WinTV, producing .ts files: image size 720 x 480, Frame Rate 29.97, Pixel Aspect Ratio 0.9091

I'm working in Expert mode. The large black margin always appears around the picture in Expert mode. I just looked at the DVD I burned (burned as a Blu-ray) and the black margin is gone, so I guess that's not an issue.

As I mentioned below, PE kept crashing when I tried to burn, as soon as I clicked Publish+Share/Disk, so I restarted and finally deleted and reinstalled it.

1. Now it keeps giving me the error message below until I X it 6 times, then comes up, but then crashes as soon as I click Publish+Share/Disk. The start up error message occured before and you previously told me to delete a file. That fixed it before but I don't remember what file to delete - what is it?

2. How can I stop the crashing as soon as I click Publish+Share/Disk?

Thanks.

I took VCR video into digital with WinTV which produced .ts or .mpg files. I broke up a larger file into smaller pieces as you suggested: put everything into one NTSC DV Standard project and want to export portions of the ... Everything looked good. Then something changed. When I tried to burn, it crashed as soon as I clicked on

• 3. Re: How do I remove black border around video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

I have just replied in your new thread regarding your Premiere Elements 13/13.1 issues, including the crashes with the Publish+Share/Disk. Please continue in that thread unless there are matters that we need to resolve in the thread we are in now.

The new thread is found

Program crashes immediately

The default project preset for 13/13.1 is 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second. With your 720 x 480 4:3 source, you are going to have problems with black borders unless you manually or the project automatically set the project preset for the NTSC DV Standard 4:3 project preset (720 x 480).. And, you are going to have difficulties avoiding black borders taking a 4:3 project to a Blu-ray burn to disc which is going to be 16:9. You could bring your 4:3 into a 16:9 project with scaling (zooming in) of the 4:3 in the monitor, but...

We can talk about this some more after we get rid of the No Disk error and crashes associated with Publish+Share/Disk.

Thanks.

ATR.