0 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 3:52 PM by Br. Charles FI

Getting the footnote number for index entries which are in footnotes

Br. Charles FI

I am laying out a scholarly book, and have just finished the index. Now I need to find which entries are in footnotes, and get the footnote number. I will then manually edit the generated index to include the footnote numbers. Each chapter is in a separate story within the same Indesign document (not an Indesign Book), and the footnote numbering starts over at the beginning of each chapter/story. I have also included some of the front matter in the index, so I do have entries in lower-case roman numerals.

Example.

Original: A se ipso (Aseity) 190, 231, 253, 269, 270, 272, 274

Edited: A se ipso (Aseity) 190, 231nn96-97, 253, 269, 270n201, 272, 274

The logic I am thinking of would go something like:

Open new document

For each index entry

If (in footnote)

Get and output: topic, (tab) page number/range associated with entry, (tab) footnote number (new line)

end if

end For Each

end script

Alternatively, I could

Search through only footnotes

at each entry output: topic, (tab) page number/range associated with entry, (tab) footnote number (new line)

In another thread, I saw this:

1. myFoot = app.selection[0].footnotes[0]; 
      2. whichOne = myFoot.index - myFoot.parent.footnotes[0].index; 

This may be what I am looking for, but i am not yet sure, since I also saw that "index" refers to the z-order.

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with Indesign Scripting, so the actual piecing it together by myself is, currently, beyond me. I could do this manually (I have started doing so) but that will take quite a while, and this book is already overdue.

God reward you,

brother Charles, FI