4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2015 8:45 PM by bobh63258696

how do I move a folder to another drive

bobh63258696

My external HD holding all my pictures seems to be corrupted, I purchased another driver. How do I move the entire library to the new drive..I'm not seeing the new drive in Lightroom

• 1. Re: how do I move a folder to another drive
          wobertc Adobe Community Professional

If your external HD is corrupted and not readable, then you will have to find your image file backups and put them on the new HD using the OS Finder/Explorer file copy.

Your images are NOT in Lightroom! (it is only a database!)  You cannot restore images from the corrupt drive to a new drive using Lightroom if the drive is not readable.

Maybe file recovery software can find images on the corrupt HD.

• 2. Re: how do I move a folder to another drive
            bobh63258696 Level 1

This is what I was thinking..my big issue is then that all edits will be lost correct? as after I move the image files I will have to reimport they into Lightrooms library ..By the way I am using a Mac

• 3. Re: how do I move a folder to another drive
              ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

The edits are lost only if you cannot point LR at a good copy of your images.

If you made a backup of your external drive, you can copy that backup to your new drive; then, as long as the folder structure is the same as the old drive, you just point LR to the top-level folder(s) of the new drive in the Folders panel, and LR will reconnect everything for you.

• 4. Re: how do I move a folder to another drive
                bobh63258696 Level 1

OK thanks! I was just trying that with one folder and it did seem to work..yes the folder structure will be the same as I will be moving the top level folder. Its a bit strange but good I think as bad drive is readable but Disk Utilities says it can only be backed up (files moved) but can not save changes to the files..so using Finder I can move the whole file structure and then just point Lightroom to them..Thanks again. Over 500G of pictures.