3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 9:17 AM by Szalam

Why is Ray-Tracing disabled?

eduards61639076

Hi, I have a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB. In after effects CC GPU is disabled, so my question is whether my graphic card is too old or just not supported by adobe. If the latter is the case, how can I then activate my graphic card to enable ray-tracing?

Thanks a lot

Eduard

• 1. Re: Why is Ray-Tracing disabled?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What, exact, version of AE CC are you running?

Have you installed the latest drivers for your card?

What OS are you running?

What are your other system specs?

• 2. Re: Why is Ray-Tracing disabled?
            eduards61639076 Level 1

Hi Szalam,

I am running a Mac:

Intel Core i7

8 GB RAM

OS X Yosemite

and I am using the current Adobe After Effects CC (2015).

• 3. Re: Why is Ray-Tracing disabled?
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M

According to the system requirements, that card is approved for acceleration of the ray-traced renderer: System requirements | After Effects

You have to make sure you have the current CUDA driver. Also, Macs are set up to do "intelligent" switching between the Intel graphics and your actual GPU. You need to make sure that your GPU is the only thing being used and that it doesn't switch to the Intel graphics. It's in your system settings somewhere.

What version of Yosemite? Make sure you're updated to the latest. Apple fixed some bugs that affected After Effects in their latest update.

That being said, the ray-traced renderer is considered an obsolete feature. The After Effects team is not developing it anymore. If I were you, I would put my efforts into becoming familiar with C4D Lite and the Cineware effect. It is where the AE team is putting their development time and it's more powerful than the ray-traced renderer.