5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 10:46 AM by JohnnyA247

reconnecting clip files in Premiere Elements

JohnnyA247

Hi, I know how to reconnect files that have become unlinked in Premiere Pro, but how do you do this in Elements?  (I have clips that have become disassociated form their media files.)

• 2. Re: reconnecting clip files in Premiere Elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

johnnya247

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Please clarify your question. Do you mean

1. That you have reopened a saved closed project and have found that you have a media - project connection issue. In this situation, you would be expected to be getting "Where is the file _____?" messages. You use those messages to direct the project to the files that are disconnected.

or

2. You imported a file into the project with its audio linked to its video and the two are no longer linked. In this situation, you would select the audio and video all at one time, click anywhere in the selection, and select Link Audio and Video or Group whichever command is available to you.

Please review, consider, and supply more details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: reconnecting clip files in Premiere Elements
            JohnnyA247 Level 1

Yes, thanks, it's Premiere Elements 13 on an OSX.  It's the first of the two options you described, and I find that your technique works.  I have to do it clip by clip apparently.

Thanks very much! 

• 4. Re: reconnecting clip files in Premiere Elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

JohnnyA

The "Where is the file ______?" is typically a one by one operation. But, sometimes if you get lucky, answering one will trigger the remaining (or some of the remaining) to reconnect automatically.

Just in case message...

a. Do not move, delete, or rename files and folders that went into the project after the project has been saved closed.

and

b. If you have your project's source media stored on an external hard drive, make sure that the drive letter is not changing because of malfunctioning or a plug and play consequence

and

c. If you are transferring projects from computer to computer, make sure you have the project's source media as well as the project file. And, in some cases, computer 2 might need files activated to accommodate the computer 1 project.

Best wishes with your video editing

ATR

• 5. Re: reconnecting clip files in Premiere Elements
                JohnnyA247 Level 1

Thank you very much.  j