5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 9:02 PM by gbambo

Indesign CC 2015 Data Merge

Freckles Level 1

I looked through some of the other Data Merge questions and tried their suggestions to no avail. Here's the issue.

I am attempting to create name tags using the Indesign Data Merge with Multiple Records. The problem is that when I export it (either to another indd or to pdf) it puts each record on a separate page rather than using multiple records.

My Steps:

Create place holders and preview in order to get placement correct. All looks fine on the Preview

I copy and pasted the placeholders into a new document, did NOT preview, and click Ok

Merged Document (either in PDF or indd format) acts like a single record.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm attempting to upload screen shots of my data merge options, but adobe keeps saying the file type is forbidden. . . I'll upload them momentarily.

• 1. Re: Indesign CC 2015 Data Merge
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

For multiple records per page you must use exactly one set of placeholders, in the upper left position. ID will duplicate as many as possible to fill the page according to the settings you choose. You also need to check multiple records per page in the merge dialog.

• 2. Re: Indesign CC 2015 Data Merge
            Freckles Level 1

I have only one set of placeholders to be repeated in the upper left position, as you said, and I have the option selected: Record Per Document Page: Multiple Record Layout. I would show you this but it won't allow me to upload an image file (jpg png or pdf. anybody know what file type it allows??)

• 3. Re: Indesign CC 2015 Data Merge
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

you can embed a jpeg, tif, or png using the camera icon, like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 4. Re: Indesign CC 2015 Data Merge
                bryanb54419849

check your page size and your margins. sometimes i get weird results with margins settings which are too large.

• 5. Re: Indesign CC 2015 Data Merge
                  gbambo Level 1

Could some element, likely the first element, have "start on new page" attribute?

I have had a similar but not identical problem. I assume the preview you did initially was multiple record on a page preview? I don't use that at all. So I was surprised when a document of mine merged to placing content on only every other label. The problem was that my frames were oversized and extended a bit into the next blank label. The offsets in the multiple layout box are relative to the bounding box that bounds all elements of the record, which could be far larger than the implicit box the eye might infer from the printing elements.