Adding context sensitivity to a WebHelp project

Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2015 Jul 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technical info:

RoboHelp 11 patch level 11.0.4.291

Windows 7 OS

I'm a bit new to context sensitivity in WebHelp. I have a reasonably large WebHelp project so I'm adding CS to it. I asked the developers to create topic IDs for the various interface pages however I'm not sure how to use what I received from them.

I was expecting something in the format:

(Web interface page) Setup... (Map ID) XYZ, (Map Number) 1234

What I'm seeing is in the format:

(Web interface page) Setup...  (URL) http://example.example.com/blah/settings.cfm?blah=1&blahh=1   (help index) 12345678

Can RoboHelp use this format and if so how? I had a look at Peter Grainge's site (thanks Peter) but I got the impression that I should be seeing either a URL or context ID (any misinterpretation of that is entirely mine).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you also looked at Willam van Weelden's site. He has more detailed information.

http://wvanweelden.eu

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't you create the map file in RH and then give that to the Dev to use to call your help project?  Otherwise you'll have to create the map file by hand in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily – some developers already have hooks planted in their software to call specific topics, so the flow goes Dev > help file, instead of RH > Dev.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah ok... so he'll have to input the Dev's information into the map file in RH, in order for it to work, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but even if you do the other way (you generate a table of mapids & give it to them), they’ll have to perform some action to import your settings to make them work in the software. So there’s some effort needed either way you do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So I figured out what development was sending. The important part was the number. The dev group looked at the javascript call and realized that it resolves to passing a number to RoboHelp. They didn't want to use the normal javascript call, since it apparently requires pop-ups to be enabled. They created a call that generates a number for RoboHelp without using the standard javascript call. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work. I'm using it as the map number in WebHelp, however I think that there is something we're missing since it opens the index but doesn't provide context sensitivity (with any of the provided index files).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp