5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 5:45 PM by Daniel Flavin

Are there any ID tuts that start completely from scratch?

RealAnise Level 1

Hey all,

So I'm finally learning ID after using other Adobe programs for many years, and... it's challenging. I've been through the Adobe tuts and more than one book, but every lesson I've found so far seems to start with a file that already has almost every element in it set up (and the tut then concentrates on one or two skills on top of that.) What I haven't been able to find is a tut that starts completely from the ground up, requiring the user to create each ID element from scratch. This obviously would be much more work, but it would be a genuine learning experience. It seems like I saw a similar tut somewhere, at some point, that started out with a word doc (and nothing else.) That's the kind of thing I mean... has anyone seen this?

• 1. Re: Are there any ID tuts that start completely from scratch?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The truth is you can only get so far with free Internet tutorials.

You should either (1) pay for a Lynda.com subscription and look at David Blatner's InDesign Essentials series (first 10 days are free!); or (2) pay a small amount for Sandee Cohen's InDesign Visual QuickStart Guide book (about the cost of four lattes); or (3) take a class at your neighborhood training center.

• 2. Re: Are there any ID tuts that start completely from scratch?
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You might also find the Classroom in a Book useful, but be warned -- last time I used them for teaching classes I had a lot of additional corrections and comments to go along. Some of the sample files were badly built, and some of the information in the lessons was just wrong, but when accompanied by extra material these became "teachable moments" and the series was still the best beginner text for a classroom situation I could find.

• 3. Re: Are there any ID tuts that start completely from scratch?
              Ellis home Level 4

Take a look at James Fritz's Introduction to Indesign at Adobe Max 2014:

MAX Online - Adobe MAX 2014

• 4. Re: Are there any ID tuts that start completely from scratch?
                RealAnise Level 1

I actually used both Classroom in a Book and Visual QuickStart... so you know I'm trying! Each one was very useful in its own way. It's not that they weren't. BUT... CiB had the problem where every single lesson basically consisted of a file that had already been created almost 100%. The only parts that weren't done from the start were the very specific elements that related to the subject of the chapter. With VQS, I really, really wanted a project-based tutorial and never found it. Here's what I'd really like to find: the only thing that already exists when you start the tut is a word doc. Maybe it's provided; maybe it's one that you yourself have. Everything else is built from the ground up. It seems like these kinds of tuts are so easy to find for PS, AI, and AE, but not for ID. I really think it's a much more challenging program than the others-- it does not do ANY of the work for you at all, whatsoever, and if you don't know what you're doing, you just won't end up with anything (no filters to slap onto a pic, no pre-existing graphic styles/symbols, etc etc etc.)

So I respect ID, but I feel like it's light years from being enough to just have some kind of a handle on all of the individual steps involved with creating a file. That's what I got from the books, but I feel like I have no idea how to put it all together... it's all about the gestalt. I will check out the James Fritz info though.

• 5. Re: Are there any ID tuts that start completely from scratch?
                  Daniel Flavin Level 4

It's not what you're asking for but this fellows video tutorials were indispensable to teaching me ID's features.

Michael Murphy - The InDesigner