4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2015 1:27 PM by Pulfnick

Program crashes immediately

Pulfnick

I was using Premiere Elements 13.1 with Windows 8.1 successfully for several months, was able to burn a test Blu-ray disk.  Then it started crashing when I tried to burn, crashing immediately when I hit Publish+Share/Disk.  I finally deleted it, restarted, reinstalled it, and updated.

I wanted to import PE files I had created and saved but it does not recognize them.  I can find them right where I saved them, but PE doesn't show they exist at all.  PE saved them as .prel files.

Also, I started to get an error message that I didn't have a disk in, but after deleting it six times it disappeared and I could get into PE.  Then PE started crashing quickly when I started to use it, now it crashes in about 5 seconds after I click the PE icon to start it.  I can't even begin to get PE up now, after two recent deletions and reinstallations.  HELP!

• 1. Re: Program crashes immediately
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

I have been on my way to your threads and got detoured several times. Sorry about that.

The first thing that I want to work on is

I started to get an error message that I didn't have a disk in

That may turn out to resolve. There is a known issue with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 that present with a No Disk error. The Adobe solution is to delete or disable the OldFilm.AEX file. The path to the file in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit is

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Adobe Premiere Elements 13.0

Plug-ins

Common

NewBlue

and, in the NewBlue Folder, is the OldFilm.AEX file that you delete or disable by renaming it to OldFilm.AEXOLD.

As for the crashes when you hit Disc in the path of Publish+Share/Disc....go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and look at the problem with and without the "Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher" preference disabled.

Also, please remind me if you are running the programs as administrator. Latest version of QuickTime installed?

Please consider the above and continue in this thread. I will post in your other thread referring it over to this one.

We will be watching for your results when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Program crashes immediately
            Pulfnick Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I've reinstalled Quick Time and deleted the OldFilm file. In a previous note, I mistakenly said the PE crashed when I hit PublishShare/Disk, but I couldn't get into the program and remembered later it was when I hit PublishShare/Computer.

The immediate problem is that PE crashes within about 5 seconds after I hit the PE icon. I can't get into it at all. As I mentioned previously, I've restarted, deleted PE, reinstalled PE successfully, updated. Then it began crashing immediately. As of now, I can't get it to open at all.

Appreciate your help.

• 3. Re: Program crashes immediately
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pulfnick

If you have been through

1. Uninstall, ccleaner, reinstall to 13 - do not update to 13.1

2. Ruled out any problems with the antivirus

3. Are running the programs as administrator

4. Deleted the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the 13.0 Folder in which it exists

5. Verified that your video card/graphics card driver version is up to date according to web site of the manufacture of the card

(also consider rolling back the driver version if the card was recently updated)

6. Tried alternative installation files

7. Disable the preference Use Hardware Acceleration (works on Intel HD Graphics 2000 and higher)...See Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

Then

Create a new user account with administrative privileges and install and try to run Premiere Elements 13 from there.

If you have not done any of the 1 through 7, please do them first. Any details needed for 1 through 7, please let me know.

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide the next steps.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 4. Re: Program crashes immediately
                Pulfnick Level 1

I've tried 1 - 6 below but unsuccessfully.

I haven't change my anti-virus as I'm sure it's not the issue - PE came up and worked fine until it started crashing

I assume I'm running as administrator. This is my home computer and I'm the only one to have used it - if there's a way to tell the computer to run as admin I don't know/use it.

I can't find Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file so haven't done anything there.

I don't know how to Verified that your video card/graphics card driver version is up to date

I've tried to install in another folder but no luck there either.

I'm really at a brick wall here. I've uninstalled/reinstalled repeatedly without upgrading to 13.1 but get the same result: Can get PE up, can load a video into Expert Timeline, etc but as Publish+Share/Disk it crashes. It lets me input a title for the DVD sometimes, this time it let me get that far once but crashed immediately upon launch.

I received an email from Sandee Singh, Adobe Tech Support, and hope we get in touch by phone to resolve the issue.