11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 12:32 PM by JayNewWeb

Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015

JayNewWeb Level 1

I know... Tweaker's Page with all of Harm Millard's info. I've read it thoroughly a few times now.

And yet, well, I really would appreciate help with just telling me where to put what now that my two machines are in place.

And I have to confess I'm confused about Render files vs Preview files. I know in PP to go to Edit > Preferences > Media > to set where it handles cache files and database, and I know to go to Project Settings > Scratch to tell it where to put Video and Audio Preview files, so I guess that's all I need to know -- and I just need to know where to point them, as well as pagefile and exports -- and, well, where to put source/asset files and, please, anything else I should know.

Both machines run Windows 7.

Machine #1 is my dedicated NLE machine (until I upgrade it, which is coming pretty soon I hope). Xeon W3565, GeForce GTX 470, 16-GB RAM (PC3-10600E 1333; RAM is maxed; it's an HP Z400 workstation; it's a pretty old machine)

Drives are:

Drive A: Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512-GB (currently has OS and apps, and is about half full)

Drive B: Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512-GB (ready to be used for cache/scratch/pagefile/exports or whatever you recommend)

Drive C: 3-HDD 2TB RAID5 array with 7200-RPM SATA drives (good LSI controller card) (currently used for data files, which for me so far means projects and assets)

Machine #2 is a secondary machine also running PP CC 2015 (at home). i7-4770, GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 16-GB RAM (1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM; the RAM can be doubled if I want to replace it all)

Drives are:

Drive A: Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512-GB (has OS and apps, and is about half full)

Drive B: Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512-GB (ready to be used for cache/scratch/pagefile/exports or whatever you recommend)

Drive C: 2TB HDD 7200-RPM SATA drive (currently used for data files, which for me so far means projects and assets)

I don't do complex work. It's mostly talking-head interview-type shoots. I typically shoot with a Canon XA20 at 1080p24 and put the clips onto sequences at 720p24 and either Scale to Frame Size or choose zoom levels I like for mixing it up. I'll probably use nesting and multi-camera. I add some graphics and a little titling on a couple tracks

Please tell me what to direct to each drive on each machine to optimize speed. I seem to wait on it mainly when I tell it to Render the sequence and to Export the sequence.

Thanks!

Jay

• 1. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the drive layout you list should work fine. the pagefile should be fine to let windows manage, and leave on the os/apps drive.

I seem to wait on it mainly when I tell it to Render the sequence and to Export the sequence.

have you checked windows resource monitor or task manager to see if you are waiting on the drives and or the cpu? rendering previews and exporting is mostly cpu based. the cpu's in both computers wouldn't be considered to be on the fast side. the Xeon W3565 would be considered slow, and is a fair amount slower than the i7-4770.

• 2. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015
            JayNewWeb Level 1

Thanks very much.

I didn't watch resource monitor or task manager but I will do that. I'm guessing the CPU is indeed the bottleneck, at least with the rendering of previews. I did a test of sorts on the i7 machine last night, first telling it to use the SSD that's used by the OS/apps for the scratch/preview files (I hadn't installed the second SSD yet) and then deleting everything and starting over after telling it to use the 2-TB HDD for the scratch/preview files. The times for about 5 min of clips were almost identical, about 1m45s (if anything the SSD took a few seconds longer than the HDD, though I can't imagine why that would have been the case).

Looks like I should make a pretty high a priority of getting a new dedicated workstation for my video editing soon.

• 3. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015
              JayNewWeb Level 1

i7 machine test

Here's Task Manager and Resource Monitor during and after a rendering of preview files on the i7 machine with the scratch location being the HDD:

IMG_20150722_232615.jpg

IMG_20150722_232656.jpg

I can't tell from that if the main bottleneck is the CPU or the RAM... or both.

And here it is during, during and after Exporting to the HDD that has the project and media assets on it:

IMG_20150722_234539.jpg

IMG_20150722_234636.jpg

IMG_20150722_234753.jpg

There was a full usage of the disk indicated when I began the export but then it dropped right away and remained very low

This machine already has an SSD in it for OS and apps (and pagefile) and an HDD for projects and media. Does the above indicate that putting in a third drive, an SSD, for cache/scratch/preview/export is a waste of time since the CPU and/or RAM are the much bigger bottleneck? What can be determined form those images? Or are they insufficient?

• 4. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015
                JayNewWeb Level 1

Then I did an export to the SSD that has the OS/apps and the time was identical as when I did it to the HDD that has the projects and source media (the SSD may have even taken a second longer).

So, I need a new machine to get any faster, right?

And putting in an SSD for all those things listed in the OP for Drive B are a waste of time in this i7 machine???

What am I missing here? (Especially since the Resource Monitor on the Export didn't show anything maxed?)

Thanks!

Jay

• 5. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015

the first picture with the cpu usage at 92% is good to see premiere using that much cpu. the other picture where its at 78% cpu usage can be the norm for some projects, as the software itself isn't the best at multi-threading to cpu cores, so the software itself becomes the bottleneck. those pictures make me think the cpu is the bottleneck, even with the high ram usage. there is the occasional disk spike, but overall the disk usage is medium to low. having a fast dedicated cache drive and fast media drive can help with quicker response time while editing, even if they aren't used as much during the export. if you want to see if you don't need the cache drive, you can set the cache to be on the os/apps drive and watch the disk usage in the windows resource monitor as you are working in premiere. if the os/apps drive is spiking too much, then you may want to try the dedicated cache drive.

• 6. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015
                    JayNewWeb Level 1

Sorry to be so naive but can you please define specifically what you mean by media drive and cache drive?

(Note that when I get back to the office I'll run the same tests on the dedicated NLE machine, though since it has a slower CPU according to your prior post I'm guessing the outcome will be predictably the same, only worse.)

Thanks!

Jay

• 7. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015

Drive A: Samsung 840 Pro SSD 512-GB (has OS and apps, and is about half full)                                                                <-- os/apps drive

Drive B: Samsung 850 Pro SSD 512-GB (ready to be used for cache/scratch/pagefile/exports or whatever you recommend)     <-- cache drive

Drive C: 2TB HDD 7200-RPM SATA drive (currently used for data files, which for me so far means projects and assets)            <-- media drive

• 9. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015
                        JayNewWeb Level 1

Quote: "... so the software itself becomes the bottleneck."

Just to be clear, I assume that you are in no way suggesting that investing in a machine that's a lot faster than my Xeon W3565 or i7-4770 isn't going to speed up resource-intensive things like rendering previews and doing exports nearly as much as I might like.

You are not saying that, correct?

I realize it's all subjective or relative or whatever, and that it still has to take "some" time to process, but a much more powerful machine will still make a huge difference, correct?

• 10. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015

a faster computer, will still be faster. when the software limits performance, for example in the picture where its 78% cpu usage, it will still be 78% of a faster cpu, which is faster than 78% of a slow cpu speed.

• 11. Re: Best use of drives for Premiere Pro CC 2015
                            JayNewWeb Level 1

Okay, great!

Thanks!