3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2015 7:45 AM by tamaral22862596

Help with Smart Previews for Outsourcing

tamaral22862596

Hi there!  I just have a question about Lightroom Smart Previews. I am currently trying to outsource some work, and sending along the catalogues with Smart Previews. For some reason, when I send the Smart Previews, it looks entirely different on her computer when she opens them in Lightroom. I apply a preset when I import the photos. I am sending over the smart previews, and when she opens it, she sees a flash of what it should look like, and then it turns into this dull/flat version of the same photo (for everrrrry photo). I am exporting with Build/Include Smart Previews, and it is just not looking the same on her computer as mine. BUT, when I screenshot the image how it looks on mine, she can see how it should look on hers (but only as a screenshot). She came over today, we calibrated our computers together using the same software (I previously just used the iMac calibration). Everything looked SO close when comparing screens, but SOMETHING is happening to this catalogue. Do you know why this might be happening, or have any idea how to fix it? Any help would be SOOO greatly appreciated!

• 1. Re: Help with Smart Previews for Outsourcing
          john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be selecting the images in Lr and then doing a File > Export as Catalog, ticking the box to include Smart Previews. This produces a folder, which is what you should be sending her. It contains a Lr catalogue and folders for the Smart Previews, and she should be opening this catalogue. Now, it sounds like you are doing most of this.

Are you sending the whole folder, not just the Smart Previews? Is she opening that catalogue, or is she accessing the Smart Previews in some other way such as importing them into her own catalogue? If she is applying a Develop preset upon import, that might explain her seeing "a flash of what it should look like".

• 2. Re: Help with Smart Previews for Outsourcing
            john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Another thing to look at is the default Develop settings. Maybe one of you has changed the default in some way? So in Develop, use Alt/Option and notice how the Reset button changes to Set Default. This would let you restore the default settings.

• 3. Re: Help with Smart Previews for Outsourcing
              tamaral22862596 Level 1

So we have narrowed down that it is the preset.  When I send a catalogue of raw files, our screen shots match perfectly.  BUT, when I have my preset applied, or she applies my preset, it looks different than it does on my computer (our screen shots don't match at all).  So it is something I am doing wrong with the preset?