6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2015 10:52 AM by Dave LaRonde

Why can't I move text when I select it?

dylanlolwut

In the middle of making a typography clip.

Everything has been going fine for about an hour up until now

When I create new text and try drag it to place it somewhere else on the screen it just warps the text as I drag the mouse, why is this and how do I stop it?

Also, is there a way of creating new text without have to exit out of the text tool?

I usually select the text tool, type whatever it is I need to, then select another tool like the brush to exit the text tool then click back on to it to write a new layer of text. It's quite annoying to have to do it everytime, I'm sure theres a way to to write a new text layer without having to deselect the text tool.

Apologies if it doesn't make sense..Not the best at explaining things.

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: Why can't I move text when I select it?
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

More than anything else.... more than any description or piece of advice someone may give you...  you need this:

Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5,  CS6, & CC)

Blow it off at your peril.

• 2. Re: Why can't I move text when I select it?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Improper use of the selection tool. You are grabbing a corner and scaling instead of grabbing the entire text and moving.

If all else fails just use the position controls in the timeline.

• 3. Re: Why can't I move text when I select it?
              Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

Hi Dylan:

Sounds like you are experiencing the difference in behavior between having a text layer actively selected or passively selected.

As such, you just need to complete the text entry before clicking with the Type Tool again.

As I'm sure you've noticed, if you press "Enter" while entering text you get a carriage return (getting a new line of text in the current text layer).

If you're on Windows, try pressing "Control + Enter"  to complete the text entry.

If you're on Mac, try pressing "Enter" instead of "Return" (on a standard Mac keyboard, this is fn + Return; on an extended Mac keyboard, it's the "Enter" key that's grouped with the numeric keypad keys).

The text layer will still be selected, but you'll be free to click and create another type layer as well use press other keys for keyboard shortcuts (like the arrow keys to nudge the type layer or the "v" key to get back to the Selection tool).

-Warren

• 4. Re: Why can't I move text when I select it?
                dylanlolwut Level 1

thank you for the command! I knew there was a way to do, just didn't know how lol.

Still having the same problem when trying to drag the text somewhere, it just warps it making it bigger or flips it. I can't see the corner markers on the text when I try to select it, even when I select the anchor point tool I can't see the centre. Did I somehow accidentally hit a command where all of the guideline points are hidden, or is it just my lack of knowledge on after effects making this stressful for me?

Also, is it by default that the point on each text is near the bottom left hand corner? I remember yesterday I had to drag them all one by one to the centre point.

• 5. Re: Why can't I move text when I select it?
                  Warren Heaton Adobe Community Professional

***View Options

Sounds like you want to check your current settings in the View Options for the Comp.

To set your View Options:

1. Select the Comp panel.
                  2. Choose View > View Options...

Specific to what you're experiencing, make sure that "Layer Controls" and "Handles" are checked in the View Options dialog box.  With those two enabled, you should be able to easily see the Handles that you're unintentionally clicking and dragging right now (they're always there, even when hidden from view)

You might also find it helpful to zoom in before you click and drag your text layer to move it.  If you press period (".") on the standard keyboard, you'll zoom into the Comp window.   If you press comma (","), you'll zoom out of the Comp window.  You can also use the Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign shortcuts for zooming in and out:  "command =" and "command -", Mac; "control =" and "control -", Windows.

***Paragraph Penal

Yes, text aligns to the left by default (so, the anchor point appears at the left edge of the baseline).  In the Paragraph panel, you can choose Left align text, Center text, or Right align text.  AE should remember the most recently used settings the next time you create a text layer. 

• 6. Re: Why can't I move text when I select it?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6
                    dylanlolwut wrote:

...is it just my lack of knowledge on after effects making this stressful for me?

That would be the reason.

AE doesn't behave like any other multimedia application you may have used previously.  You need your basic schoolin', or you suffer frustration.