1 2 Previous Next 59 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2015 9:59 PM by A.T. Romano

Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?

ryant66122727

Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?

• 1. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

What version of Premiere Elements are you considering and what computer operating system is involved?

The use of USB microphones in Premiere Elements can meet with mixed results, usually "does not work". But, the microphone that plugs into the computer jack should work fine.

Premiere Elements is a video editor. What did you have in mind when you wrote "...record a video from scratch"? Are you referring to capturing video from a webcam? Although several features have been removed from version 13/13.1 (current version)

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

it still has Add Media/Webcam or WDM (described captures video from a webcam or WDM compatible device).

This feature will depend on the compatibility of your webcam with Premiere Elements. If question applicable to your situation, do you have a standalone webcam or one built into your computer?

Do you have any version of Premiere Elements at this time?

Please consider and give more details so that we can custom details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
            ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks a lot for the quick response.I have Adobe Premiere Elements 13.

I am trying to do a video and then put audio to correspond.  I have been able to do the video...but the audio is the hard part.

1) How do I put the audio directly under the file? Also 2) I have a built in mic and I am trying to not have the squeaking sound when I record... I tried the ASIO Settings.

Thank you so much.

• 3. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

Thanks for the reply.

What do you want to put under the video - narration or imported music/audio file?

If narration, please review the Adobe document on adding narration to a project using the project's Narration Tool.

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Create narrations

If you want to add your own music, you can import non copyright music into the project using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the music to the Soundtrack (or under certain circumstances a numbered Audio Track). If you have iTunes music, more than likely you will need to take it into iTunes to convert it to the WAV version before importing it into the project. The iTunes how to for that can be found

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

The adjustment of the mic sensitivity in the Narration Tool dialog can be of help in avoid distorted sound. In my Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit with its built in microphone, I need to take the mic sensitivity to the far left to avoid distorted and strange noises during the recording. The Adobe document cited above has tips for the narration recording with the Narration Tool.

You should be able to do the task with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool. But, if you cannot, take a look at the free audio editor named Audacity to create the WAV narrations and then import the WAV narrations into the Premiere Elements project with the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets......

Miscellaneous tip about "nudging" audio in place.

Select your audio clip, as you hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key once. For each tap, there is a 1 frame movement.

Select your audio clip, as you hold down the Shift+Alt key of the computer main keyboard, tap the right or left arrow key once. For each tap, there is a 5 frames movement.

If you have any questions on the above or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks so much, I'm working on it

Ryanwww.spanishcan.comwww.truthontopic.com

• 5. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

Thanks for the follow up.

Please let us know of your progress as you get into the workflows and as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                    ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks again

I have a few more questions (sorry if I am off topic)

Audio:

I am getting the sound done...I am wondering what does that "circle" underneath the mic sensitivity indicate...I have been adjusting it, but have not seen any significant change.

Also regarding "video" : 

1) I have brought in a lecture to adobe that has slides...and adobe nicely showed me the individual slides, however I am wondering, "Can I set the time for each slide?" or must this be done in the original file...? like can I change a 20 secs slides to 45 secs and vice versa, in adobe?

2) I was recording video directly into adobe with my computer's camera.    Simply by "Add media --> Web cam or WDM" I have one video with a dark back ground and one with a brighter one (quite the opposite). I recorded them the same way to my knowledge, but now I can't get the clear back ground again.

Thanks so much

www.spanishcan.comwww.truthontopic.com

• 7. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

Thanks for the follow ups.

The audio question is an interesting one.

I am wondering what does that "circle" underneath the mic sensitivity indicate...I have been adjusting it, but have not seen any significant change.

From reading the Narration Tool's dialog, the first impression is that this slider is a "volume slider" since it refers to it as "input level volume slider"..

But, my take on this is that is the slider controls Mic Sensitivity in terms of gain, not volume, control.

a. if you take the slider all the way to the left, you still hear sound, you have not muted it.

b. gain typically refers to input and volume to output level

Once the narration clip is produced using the Narration Tool, there are Timeline opportunities to adjust the clip's gain (Clip Menu/Audio Options/Gain) as well as volume (Adjust Tab/Adjustments/Volume Panel expanded).

Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Mixing audio and adjusting volume

See section with Input. Noise associated with increases in gain or volume can often be associated with increased noise. Then try DeNoiser Filter in the audio effects for some relief.

1) I have brought in a lecture to adobe that has slides...and adobe nicely showed me the individual slides, however I am wondering, "Can I set the time for each slide?" or must this be done in the original file...? like can I change a 20 secs slides to 45 secs and vice versa, in adobe?

You can right click the slide, select Time Stretch, and then set the duration in the Time Stretch dialog...if the original duration is 20 seconds, you should see 00;00;20;00. After the change to 45 seconds duration, you should have 00;00;45;00 (hours; minutes; seconds; frames). You can do this for one or more than one at a time....select all, then right click anywhere in the selection.

2) I was recording video directly into adobe with my computer's camera.    Simply by "Add media --> Web cam or WDM" I have one video with a dark back ground and one with a brighter one (quite the opposite). I recorded them the same way to my knowledge, but now I can't get the clear back ground again.

You can try applying fx Effects/Adjust/Image Control to the Timeline selected video and then editing the effect under the Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Image Control Panel expanded. There are other effects to consider, but please start with that one first.

Please review and consider. Still thinking about the audio question.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                        ryant66122727 Level 1

Hey again

Thanks so much for your help.

Question: Any way of converting a WinRAR ZIP archive (.zip) so that I can bring it into adobe?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                          ryant66122727 Level 1

Come to think of it I guess I have to unzip it

• 10. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

Can you just right click the zip file, select Extract All, and follow the instructions from there? Should be quick if no complicating factors.

ATR

• 11. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                              ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks

I've worked with zip files countless time...I' ll see what's going on

Thanks!

• 12. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                ryant66122727 Level 1

I have unzipped the file, but when I try to upload in Adobe, it's not recognizing it

• 13. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

What file was supposed to be in the zipped folder after you opened it?

What are the properties of that file that will not upload in Adobe? I am assuming that you mean import into Premiere Elements project using Add Media/Files and Folder.

Please review and let me know if I went off target in following the description of your current task.

Thanks.

ATR

• 14. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                    ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks a lot for your response! Basically it is like a power point type program that I have. So I first exported that file from the program which is in zip format.   I extracted those files and now I am trying to import them to Adobe using Add Media.

• 15. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

Thanks for the additional information. Any advances in getting those files imported into Premiere Elements?

If not, see what information you can put together on the properties of those files (file extension and, as applicable, video compression, frame size, frame rate).

You may be forced to save them in another format in the power point type program or find a way to convert the file to another format in an appropriate converter software.

ATR

• 16. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                        ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks a lot.  It's up hill with the zip file...still working on it with the software producer...

Sorry if I'm outside the original topic...But can you give me the basic steps to doing power point type presentations? I'm thinking of working with the photoshop, instead of Elements (to begin and then to go to Elements)...

I can do one page, but would like to put data on a series, this is where I am lost...this is my plan B until I get the files unzipped.  I teach an online class and need a step to get it done.

Thanks so much

• 17. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

I have Microsoft PowerPoint 2010.

If I am creating a PowerPoint presentation and want to add slides beyond page 1, under the Home Tab, I go to New Slide in the row below that Home Tab header.

At that location, you can not only add an additional slide to the presentation but also say what kind you want.

Is that the information that you sought? If not, please describe further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 18. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                            ryant66122727 Level 1

ThanksI am referencing to being able to do this in adobe....the power point type of a presentation, the equivalent.

thanks!

• 19. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

You could consider each PowerPoint slide as a counterpart of a Timeline file (Expert workspace) or Filmstrip scene (Quick workspace).

And, you could sequence those files or scenes to create your presentation with

• Text tiles created in the project Titler as well as title templates under the Titles & Text Tab.

• A Title or Title Template can be used as standalone entry for the project's Timeline as well as overlay for videos or photos on that Timeline..

But, you would need to do some exploration and experiment to assure that you are going to get the wanted resolution and clarity for the text. Are you planning on showing the presentation as a projection to a screen from what is playing in your computer player?

ATR

• 20. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                ryant66122727 Level 1

Yes sir.  I did it in Power point and converted it to media player...and then uploaded it to adobe.

In Adobe, I can then see all the slides, one by one in the "Quick" main stream but In the "Expert" I only see one slide, so I am unable to do the "Time stretch" for each individual slide...

It's around 8 minutes but I will like to make the individual slides to be around 20 seconds and so on.  I will then use this as the basis for the class.

• 21. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

What did you import into Premiere Elements, PowerPoint slides as jpegs or other. And how many files did that represent?

If you see the slides one by one in Quick workspace, then you should see the following comparison between Quick and Export workspaces

Quick

Quick.JPG

Expert

Expert.JPG

In those screenshots, I imported 4 jpegs into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders/

If I want to change the duration of the 4 jpegs all at one time, I select all, right click anywhere in the selection, select and click on Time Stretch in the pop up menu, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, set the want duration (hours; minutes; seconds; frames).

Please explore and compare what you are seeing there with the representations in the screenshots. Do you see any obvious differences other than I have 4 jpegs in Quick and 4 jpegs in Expert?

We will be watching for your observations.

Thanks.

ATR

• 22. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                    ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it as I really need to get the classes out.I converted the Power point into Windows Media player- mp4 , since Adobe wasn't receiving the Power Point slides.

So now I have the media player...I tested a file before in Adobe and realised how the Expert allows me to do more details.  I was able to do the time stretch for individual files, but somehow not this time wit the imported media player file. (so far I can stretch the entire file, but not each individual slide)

• 23. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                      ryant66122727 Level 1

I'm set now. I did the cut and then time stretch, so it worked out well.Just a bit of Mathematics required.

• 24. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

Great news that you have developed a workflow that is working for you.

I am a bit concerned about certain comments like

I converted the Power point into Windows Media player- mp4 , since Adobe wasn't receiving the Power Point slides.

I am not clear why you could not convert the PowerPoint slides into jpegs and import them into the Premiere Elements project.

I have PowerPoint 2010 and appear to get the opportunity to save the PowerPoint slides as wmv video (Windows Media Video wmv). What version of PowerPoint do you have that lets you do the slide to mp4 video.

You might want to explore slide to jpeg. But, if you have a working workflow, then great.

Your follow ups have been appreciated.

Best wishes

ATR

• 25. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                          Nadars

Plug the USB headset into the computer. Navagate to the Audio System Preferences for the computer (Apple>System Preferences>Sound). Under the Input tab, select the USB headset (Each model of headset is labeled differently) and adjust the input volume with the horizontal slider. Speak into the microphone while adjusting the slider and aim to get the meter in the upper 3/4 range. Under the Output tab, Select the USB headset.

• 26. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Nadars

Have you read the body of the thread besides the title of the thread? Please do that to get the actual discussions and results of this thread.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and what computer operating system is involved?

Not all USB headsets or microphones are compatible with Premiere Elements. Consequently, if you are not using a USB headset, you are not going to find and select USB headset under the microphone source.

ATR

• 27. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                              ryant66122727 Level 1

Hello there.  I am trying to upload my video to youtube, but I'm told it is too long.

Thanks for any

• 28. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

The Premiere Elements 13/13.1 built in YouTube feature has a limit, and it is 2.2 GB/15 minutes.

You can export your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive and from there upload the file to YouTube at the YouTube web site.

But, even at the YouTube web site, the regular limit is 15 minutes, so, at YouTube, you will have to apply for an extended time account there. Important. That extended time account can be used at YouTube but not when you are using the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 built in YouTube feature.

Upload videos longer than 15 minutes - YouTube Help

For the Timeline export, consider

If you have a 1920 x 1080 project in a NTSC setup....

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H624 1920 x 1080p30

Please let us know if that worked for you and whether you need any supplemental information on this.

Thanks.

ATR

• 29. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                  ryant66122727 Level 1

thank you for your response.

Can I convert the adobe premiere file to mp3/4? 

I have before uploaded videos around an hour on youtube, so I have already met that requirement, ... I need a format like mp3 to be able to upload to youtube...it is not taking the adobe file format and I am having trouble converting it to the needed format...

• 30. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

What is this .mp3 file? A music file from iTunes or something else?

Based on the following YouTube document, I do not believe that you can upload just an audio file or just a still image to YouTube.

Upload audio or image files - YouTube Help

If you need to export your Timeline to an audio file saved to the computer hard drive, there is always

Publish+Share

Computer

Audio

with presets for MP3, WAV, AIFF, AAC.

And, double check that you are not using a file that is copied protected.

Please consider and supply more details.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On....online there appears to be at least one supposed time saving software for uploading mp3 to YouTube...I have never used it. So, for now, I would go by the details in YouTube's document on the subject.

• 31. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

Add On to post numbered 30....

If you do need to use Publish+Share/Computer/Audio, please remember that you have to use the thin scroll bar to the right of the Publish+Share/Computer/ choices to get to Audio which is toward the bottom of the choices.

ATR

• 32. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                        ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks for the response.  However, I did not understand.  My file is more than 15 mins, so I am trying to get it in a format (like mp3) so that I can upload to youtube... as in youtube doesn't take the format when I go directly.

• 33. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

What is in this file which is over 15 minutes in duration? Just audio? Just video? Just stills? Or, video with audio?

No matter what the file duration or file extension, YouTube is not going to let you upload a file which is just an audio file. Please refer to the YouTube details in the link I posted in post 30.

But, let me back up to make sure we are in sync on the details. You wrote

My file is more than 15 mins, so I am trying to get it in a format (like mp3) so that I can upload to youtube

MP3 is an audio file extension. Consequently, I assumed that you are trying to upload an only audio file to YouTube. Was my assumption correct? If not

a. What are the properties of the file that you are trying to upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site and that are getting rejected....video compression, audio compression, file extension?

b. What is the origin of this file....is it an export of your Timeline content to a file (Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30 or something else?

c. Where you successful in getting your YouTube extended time account set up and are you using it?

ATR

• 34. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                            ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks so much.The file is both audio, video and still shots.  I have previously uploadedlong files to youtube from movie maker and other formats...basically I converted the file to mp4 and then uploaded it (mp4 being one of the many formats that youtube will upload).

So the problem is not the time.  I have done it before...but youtube declines the file type from adobe which when I try to convert to mp4 I am unable. So I am hoping to be able to find a way to convert the adobe file into a format that is youtube uploadable.

• 35. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

What is your project's frame size - 1920 x 1080.

Have you exported that Timeline file to file saved to the computer hard drive, specifically using

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30.

When you upload that to the YouTube at the YouTube web site, there should be no problems in principle on that. If problem, then we need to look to another answer to the issue other than format.

Where in the process does YouTube reject the upload what is the reason given for the rejection?

As I mentioned, YouTube takes extended time uploads only when you are using one of its extended time accounts which you apply for and get at YouTube.

Please consider. And, we will try to pin point the core of the issue.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...you say that you have problems exporting your Timeline content to .mp4...please describe the problems.

• 36. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                                ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks.  

I followed the instructions exactly...it took about 8 hours to download this hour long video...and now it appears to only have done 2:34 of the video.

Thanks for your help.  My students are missing their classes right now, so I do hope for a solution that is not lengthy to upload... is there a way to convert to mp3 without using adobe? a converter program?  or another shorter way within adobe?thanks

• 37. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

There is no video or video audio file that I know of that has a .mp3 file extension. I have only seen .mp3 file extension for files that are exclusively audio

http://whatis.techtarget.com/fileformat/MP3-MPEG-Audio-Layer-3-AC3-file

If you have this video audio file (which I understand you have) and the .mp4 version of the file is taking a long time to upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site, consider exporting your Timeline content to a .wmv file which will have a considerably smaller file size.

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

with Presets = 720 x 480 16 x 9 29.97

then, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, customize the settings for 1920 x 1080 @29.97 progressive frames per second.

Use the thin scroll bar to the right of the Publish+Share/Computer/ choices to see Windows Media which is toward the bottom of the list of choices.

See screenshot

PE13WMV.JPG

But, before going further, let us double check to make sure that we are in sync on the goal

You have Timeline content with a duration of about an hour.

You want to export that Timeline content to a file that you can upload to YouTube at the YouTube web site, using a YouTube extended time account obtained at YouTube. Are we OK on that?

For audio conversion of an audio file, please consider iTunes and Audacity.

iTunes: How to convert a song to a different file format - Apple Support

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

But, You Tube does not appear to support audio only files for upload as I have mentioned before. So, I am not seeing how the audio file format converters are going to apply to your situation.

If we are together on the goal, the Windows Media file size may give you the quality that you seek at YouTube as well as provide shorter upload/download times.

ATR

• 38. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                                    ryant66122727 Level 1

Thanks.

Yes I was working the mp4... thanks I see what you are saying about the mp3

I did all the below things...In advanced I didn't see "1920 x 1080...  progressive frames per second." so I left the default with 29.97.

so far it tells me that it has 10 hours downloading time remaining, so the time still seems very long.

the program does the frequent auto save and I am not sure if this has anything to do with it

• 39. Re: Can I use my computer mic in adobe?  Can I record a video from scratch?
                                                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ryant

Thanks for the update. Although Windows Media gives smaller file sizes than the other choices, it does have a tendency to have longer encoding time. I am hoping that the Windows Media choice has more pros than cons, otherwise consider staying with the AVCHD.mp4 version that you explored.

Please define so we are OK...

by downloading = 10 hours, do you mean downloading your YouTube content to your computer after you have uploaded Premiere Elements file to YouTube at the YouTube web site?

Do you have Video Stabilization applied to any of the file involved? That effect can increase times a lot.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

1 2 Previous Next