2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2015 11:59 AM by willowtreestudio

My lr previews.lr data is huge even though i tell it to optimize on closing

willowtreestudio

I just found that my total lr catalog is 153 gigs-and the bulk of that space used is in the lr preview and smart preview .kr data. I optimize my catalog when i backup, i have my settings set to delete previews after 30 days and I no longer import using make smart previews. What is in the catalog in smart previews is old stuff before I realized how much room the smart previews can take up.When I go into the preview folders it contains directories from A to F and 1 to 9 and each has a huge amount of folders with dates from 2012-2015 so it is obviously not deleting after 30 days.My question is can I delete these two folders entirely-i can go into one and just save the data from the last weeks-and also any idea why it is not deleting as it should.

I am posting a picture of the catalog-any info also as to anything else that should be deleted is appreciated.

7-22-2015 12-41-56 PM.jpg

• 1. Re: My lr previews.lr data is huge even though i tell it to optimize on closing
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Smart Previews take up a lot of space. They are actual copies, nearly, of the files. If you don't use you system away from the actual, REAL, images, like you have your images on an external drive and you only connect it ever now and then or you use your notebook out and about without the external drive that stores your images, there really isn't a need to create Smart Preview.

Your actual catalog files are only using about 7GBs. But then why do you have so many catalogs?

I have no idea why you have so many Temp Import Data .db and .db-journal files.

• 2. Re: My lr previews.lr data is huge even though i tell it to optimize on closing
            willowtreestudio Level 1

I am not good on removing old catalogs. I assume that I can delete lr 1,lr 1-2, and lr 1-2-2.lrcat--the other is my catalog from lr 2015. My temps should be deleting on reboots but aren't. assume I can delete them too. I have 50 gigs in smart previews which i will delete but the other 100 gigs are in previews.lr data .can I delete the previews data too-assume that it will just take longer when I open the folders again which is not a problem. Any ideas as to why it is not deleting previews over 30 days as I

have it set to in my lr settings.