3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2017 9:46 AM by m_vargas

Flash Player won't update, gray screen

doubleradiation Level 1

So as mentioned, my flash player won't update and will only display a gray screen (Also i am trying to update to FlashPlayer 18)

I did try uninstalling Flash and re-installing it, but to no avail.

My Chrome Flash Player is running fine, but I read somewhere that it uses it's own separate flash.

I am actually trying to update it so my IE and Opera would be able to use it, as Opera is my main browser and I need IE to have it (I think) to properly run Final Fantasy 14.

All help will be appreciated, I tried everything I could find but nothing worked.

• 1. Re: Flash Player won't update, gray screen
          m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi doubleradiation,

Did you move the installer file from one machine to another?  If so, please try the following:

1. Right-click on the installer file and select Properties
          2. In the General tab click the Unblock button
          3. Click Apply
          4. Click OK to close the window
          5. Double-click on the installer file to launch the installer

--

Maria

• 2. Re: Flash Player won't update, gray screen
            jazzmuffin1515 Level 1

Hi, I tried this but it did not work for me.

I get the same grey screen, even when the only relevant plugin available isn't even for Firefox/Windows7; it's called 'Shockwave for Director,' and opens a Netscape window that also is greyed out.

I have literally attempted to update Flash fifteen times in the past 5 years without success.

Now I need it for work.

PLEASE HELP.

• 3. Re: Flash Player won't update, gray screen
              m_vargas Adobe Employee

Hi jazzmuffin1515

"Shockwave for Director" is not Flash Player.  It's a completely different product (see Shockwave vs Flash Player).  To install Flash Player for Firefox, do the following:

1. Launch Firefox and navigate to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
                • The site will auto-detect the operating system and browser and automatically offer the appropriate plugin.  In this case Flash Player NPAPI for Firefox/Safari
              2. Note that the download page has optional offers displayed.  If you have JavaScript disabled or certain add-ons like NoScript, Ghostery or similar, the middle pane displaying the optional offers does not display.  Make sure JavaScript is enabled and these other add-ons are disabled.
              3. Click Download now button to download the installer
              4. Locate the downloaded Flash Player installer saved locally and double-click to launch the installer
              5. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete installation
                • A few notes on the update options:
                  1. Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended): opts the system into background updates.  The system regularly checks for an update and automatically installs it when it's available - usually within 24 hours of a new version being released and the system has an internet connection
                  2. Notify me to install updates:  Flash Player periodically checks (default is 7 days) for an update and displays an update notification dialog (upon system reboot/login) window when an update is available. User can install the update, or ignore the update.  If user ignores the update, Flash Player will check again (usually in 7 days) and notify that an update is available.
                  3. Never check for updates (not recommended):  Flash Player does not check for updates.  User must check for updates and install them.

--

Maria