• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why Captivate users SHOULD NOT immediately install Windows 10.

Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a few days from now Microsoft will release the new Windows 10 operating system, and as many of you already know, there is a special offer to download and install it free of charge for the first 12 months if you are currently on Windows 7 or Windows 8.  Naturally, this sounds like a deal too good to pass up and I would assume thousands of Captivate users will jump on this immediately and install Windows 10 without thinking twice.

I would like so sound the following warning:
DON'T INSTALL WINDOWS 10 YET. WAIT FOR THE ALL CLEAR FIRST!

Traditionally Captivate versions have often had issues working with new operating systems, regardless of whether you're on a MAC or a PC.  Sometimes the issues are just annoying.  Sometimes they render Captivate unusable, or even unable to be launched.  So there is good reason for caution with Windows 10, which reportedly has significant differences from Windows 7 or 8.

My suggestion to all Captivate users out there is to simply sit on your hands for a number of weeks while all the others download and install Windows 10. Then just watch this user forum to see if it lights up with complaints about Captivate failing to work.  Call me a pessimist but I'm fairly sure that there WILL be issues and those issues are likely to be serious enough to ruin your day, or even prevent you from being able to work.

When these compatibility issues emerge, Adobe usually responds with a fix but that could take weeks or months. But even then not all versions will be updated.  E.g. Captivate versions earlier than 8 are likely to miss out. Another possible solution is that Adobe will say you need to be on Captivate 9 if you want to work with Windows 10.  (Resolving compatibility issues with Windows 10 would certainly explain why Captivate 9 seems a little late in being released.)

Either way, if using Captivate is essential to your livelihood, I believe it prudent to simply delay moving to Windows 10 until you are absolutely sure it will not prevent you from making a living.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hear, hear!

If you're looking to build a stable platform for Captivate, you should refer to the Adobe documentation on supported platforms, available here:

System requirements: Windows

• 1GHz or faster Intel Pentium 4, Intel Centrino, Intel Xeon, or Intel Core Duo (or compatible) processor
  • Microsoft Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, or 8.1
  • 2GB of RAM minimum (4GB recommended)
  • 5GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash-based storage devices)
  • Adobe Flash Player 10 or 11 for viewing multimedia content
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • 1024x768 display (1280x1024 recommended) with 16-bit video card
  • This software will not operate without activation.

If you're looking to experiment with Captivate on a newly published OS before the software manufacturer has a chance to publish an update to their application that they will support, carry on and let us know what you find out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2015 Aug 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated and the only issue I'm experiencing b/w Cap8 and W10 is that recordings will no longer auto snap to the application I'm recording.

Annoying but not a show-stopper.

OW... no issues for the way I use Cap8.

Hope this remains the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kjjr54  You were lucky! Or you are not using the Captivate's features that cause issues?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 30, 2015 Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is very good advice. Unfortunately I didn't see it before I installed Windows 10. Captivate doesn't work on Windows 10. It opened but when I tried to open an pre-existing project I got a message about not having 'permissions to access' that project. If I tried to capture a new project it  crashed Captivate. I have reverted back to Windows 8 but the problem persists. I have uninstalled and re-installed Captivate but this has not helped. Am very worried, any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good advice. I am anxious to upgrade to 10 as it appears MS has done something right this time. Time will tell. Thank you as always Rod Ward. Good advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hiii

any special forum for windows 10 and captivate 8 problems????

last time I installed windows 10 rtm and found that Equation Editor was not working.  I wrote on forum and received reply after 6 month (somewhat last week )

now i updated windows 10 and found a stupid problem.  I make a small accounting project when I was in Windows 8.1.  Now after installing windows 10 home, i preview again same project and surprisingly cannot see any data.

I tried a few times and 4 different situations are as follows:

1) when I run project, first slide which is static come properly.  And second slide onwards has text animation "Architect_Unveil"  I can see animation moving from left to right but no characters.

2) Next I preview again but this time I preview from 2nd slide onwards (from 2nd slide onwards all slides are having animation).  2nd slide came properly with all animations, but 3rd slide onwards again same problem.  Only animation and no characters

3)  I then run the project in Browser.  By default Microsoft's new browser Edge open and same problem.

4)  I then change default browser to Mozilla, but in mozilla also same problem.

Any guidance appreciated.

(Note:  I loved windows 7, when installed windows 8 - I hate it.  But when updated to windows 8.1 and I loved it.  Now I installed Windows 10, then changed again everything.  Being a normal user of PC, I don't see anything better and therefore planning to uninstall it.

So anyone is really interested in Windows 10 go for it or better stick to windows 8.1, that's great and will not have much problem with our existing softwares. )

Thanks

Hussain Ahmed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 30, 2015 Sep 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I REALLY wish that I had seen this before I decided to upgrade. Cp9 is slow, buggy, and a miserable hunk of programming to deal with in Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rachel Flowers,

Captivate 9 works well with Windows 10. Could you provide more insight into "Cp9 is slow, buggy and miserable"? You can also send to me sample project or issues to sankaram@adobe.com.

Thanks,

Sankaram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sankaram,

While I initially thought that the problem was Captivate, upon further investigation I have discovered that the issue may lie in the hardware drivers for Windows 10. Although the problem appeared to surface in Captivate, I came to realize that my mouse was behaving strangely, as well as my keyboard. I uninstalled the drivers for each, then rebooted. The problem seems to be better now, although there still appears to be a tiny bit of lag within the program, I will keep you posted.

Thank you,

Rachel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This program is absolutely insufferable. I have e-mailed you a list of details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2015 Nov 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this thread.

I know this thread is geared towards CP8 and CP9, but we're still using Captivate 7 - Any word or anyone have experience with Windows 10 and CP7?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are wise Obi-Rod  ... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have much to learn Grasshopper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,  Does anyone know for sure now if Captivate 8 is working with Windows 10?  I'd like to know before installing if possible.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources