24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2015 4:42 PM by lauras91557391

Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

lauras91557391 Level 1

Why are the brushes in my Creative Cloud Libraries on my iPad less than the corresponding brushes in Creative Cloud on my iMac? For example, on iPad, four brushes made for CCAI in Adobe Brush and in CC on my iMac there are 22 brushes I created.

I am encountering some other issues with Adobe Brushes and Sketch in relation to CC that I will post separately. This is not an easy learning curve!

Thanks in advance for any help I can receive.

Best wishes,

Laura

• 1. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
          Sheena Kaul Adobe Employee

Moving to The specified item was not found.

• 2. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
            floramc Adobe Community Professional

Hi!

I have a lot of possible answers to this

did you check the library name? I was looking at the app with no luck trying to find how to copy the brushes on the CC storage, if not through sharing so I suppose you are talking about the brushes that appear in your libraries.

The key question here is: how many did you create? 4 or 22? Who's telling "the truth" here?

Have you brushes that are shared from other users?  Brushes that are shared from other users might not appear on the mobile app, in that case I would guess why they are on CC. But you still should be in the right library...

Are you sure that what you see is all Ai or all Ps ready? Maybe you get 22 brushes, but actually only 4 work with Ps

To be sure which ones work on Ai and which one work on Ps, the easiest way is to check the color in the library on the desktop app as the brushes made in AdobeBrush that do not work eg in Photoshop will look of a darker grey, as in the pic I post. Many of these are default brushes, I did not create them.

Screen Shot 2015-08-09 at 13.37.42.png

Did you create brush on devices other than your iPad?

I try to understand what is the issue here with the sync

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
              lauras91557391 Level 1

Thank you for your reply and explanations.

I had a phone conversation with an Adobe tech recently who was very helpful although he had to go off the phone to get answers to my questions. He told me that he was not trained in working with mobile apps.  So, he learned quite a bit also. I learned the following:

Adobe Sketch brushes created in Brushes can only be used with the mobile app, Sketch. Any artwork I create in Sketch can be brought into Photoshop or Illustrator. If I want to create further on that particular artwork, I would need to use the brushes available to me in either of those apps.

So, I created a Sketch Library and it is from within that Library I can create new brushes that will be in the Sketch Library exclusively.

I am working by myself, not involved in sharing. My goodness, what a learning curve this is! I’m still struggling to understand how these apps/CC work for myself.

All brushes created in my iPad.

Best,

Laura

• 4. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

That is correct, Brush allows you to create brushes for two desktop apps: illustrator and photoshop and one other mobile app: sketch.

if you look at Brush, after you have chosen your base for the brush, regardless if you used your camera or your albums, the first choice you have is your destination: photoshop, illustrator or sketch? Depending on your choice you have different kind of starting points. On top of your screen you can instead choose in which gallery you want to put your brush.

Since I too tend to get a bit lost with the what is to who, I did like that: I created 3 lists in the library, each has the name of the destination app. So if i browse my library I have a 'photoshop' a 'illustrstor' and a 'sketch' to choose among.

if I know I am creating a brush for photoshop, I start by opening the library and choose the 'photoshop' list that I created so my brush will automatically be saved there.

then once I chose the base for my brush and the app asks me for whom I create the brush, I choose an example in photoshop brushes as the app suggests me. Then I continue defining my brush.

Once I am in photoshop I go to window>libraries and when the library shows, I search on top through the names the 'photoshop' list I created and there I have only brushes I created that work with photoshop.

same thing with illustrator.

sketch is an app and it is quite self explained that it is used to sketch drawings. I use to separate between utility apps, like brush, that gives me a tool to work with and creative apps, that allow me to create, modify, structure and are more advanced. So I would say brush is an utility tool, I make a brush, but ps or ai are the creative tools to perform with the brush.

sketch is as much a creative app. You can use default brushes or your own brushes, you work on one layer and then you do not save your sketch in your library as you do with an utility app: you send them directly to ps or ai and they open as a layer/artboard.

So what I believe you need to do is understanding the first choice given in adobe brush: for which application you are creating your brush? Once this is clear, you are up and running with brush

• 6. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

i cannot read your message

• 7. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                    lauras91557391 Level 1

I will try to resend it.

Laura

• 8. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                      lauras91557391 Level 1

This is the message that you said you could not receive.

Yikes! I am still having problems with the Libraries in Creative Cloud app (on both my iPhone and iPad) not being updated when I create new brushes. Too tired to mess with it now.

I will try again in a few days when I have more time.

Please let me know if you receive this whole email.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Laura

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Re:  Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

Date: August 12, 2015 at 6:18:57 PM PDT

To: jive-398735790-32rxp-2-4o6a5@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com

>

• 9. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

Laura,

I am reporting your issue to the product manager right away.

• 10. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                          lauras91557391 Level 1

Thank you, Flora.

I am a new subscriber to Adobe Creative Cloud and the apps. Actually, I was not sure in corresponding with you if I was talking to someone who works at Adobe or another Adobe products user.

Your help is so very much appreciated.

Laura

• 11. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

I volunteer for adobe, I am not an employee. More like an ambassador. We who have the ACP under the pics (adobe community professionals) are a group of volunteers who follow a program whose aim among the others (mainly I would say) is to support the users the best way we can on the forum.

Adobe users counts in numbers over the dozens of millions, it would be impossible for the staff to cover the whole forum, so we try to give support. It's the ACPs and the MVPs, these ones are experienced veterans who have been longer on the forum and often cover the desktop apps masterfully.

We are all here to help, moderate and try to make your experience on the forum successful and pleasant. I posted your question and wondered if you use a good and fast connection when you work with the apps and the desktop programs. I experience slowness on my iPhone if I create new libraries while on the go. At times it takes longer to see them appear on all devices. But as soon as I have a good wifi connection, the problem is solved.

• 12. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                              lauras91557391 Level 1

Hi, Flora

I had no idea that Adobe has volunteers. That is really terrific and hats off to you and the other volunteers. You perform a great service. I have found the learning curve with the apps and CC to be very challenging.

It’s not like I am totally unfamiliar with Adobe programs because I have used PhotoShop, Illustrator and InDesign in the past. The problem really seems to be with the apps (Adobe Brush, Adobe Sketch and CC) on my iPhone and iPad.

I have taken into consideration that I have created brushes away from home where the wi-fi connection is not as strong. But, still, the problem persists. I would really like to get it resolved because I am paying $30 a month for Creative Cloud but cannot use it fully. Bummer!

I will be able to address this issue again on Sunday when I have a day off from work. I will work on it again. But, let me check with you to see if what I have is all that I need to get these apps to be talking to one another:

On my iMac I have Adobe CC 2015: PS, AI plus others that I have not used yet like Lightroom. All are updated.

On my iPhone I have Adobe Brush, Adobe Draw, PS Mix and Creative Cloud.

On my iPad I have all the above plus Adobe Sketch.

Am I missing anything that would resolve this problem?

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Gracias!

Laura

1 person found this helpful
                              • 13. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

Laura,

i made a test trying to save brushes on my iPhone on crappy internet connections. It did not save them.

also I was suggested to tell you this: try to create new libraries and see if they save successfully in a new one.

• 14. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                                  lauras91557391 Level 1

I will try to create new libraries tomorrow at home where I have wi-fi and will let you know the results.

• 15. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                                    lauras91557391 Level 1

Hi, Flora

It really seems that there is a disconnect between the Adobe Brush and Creative Cloud appson my iPad and Adobe Creative Cloud on my iMac. What appears in one does not appear in the other.

I tried making a new library for AI and the first brush did not appear in CC app on my iPad/iPhone but appeared on my computer in Adobe CC. I am doing this at home with all my devices here in front of my computer and there is wi-fi in the house.

Re: Adobe Brushes app on my iPad - can you tell me the difference between making a brush from the choice that reads AI Last Style and the Adobe Illustrator CC Brushes choice?

How does My Library function compared to other libraries that I create?

My head is spinning at this point so I will end here.

Best to you,

Laura

• 16. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

Hi Laura,

to start with, I would like to share this link. It might have some more answers, let me know if it helps you

Creative Cloud Help | Creative Cloud Libraries

I take for granted that you create the new libraries in the mobile app. I know it hurts just reading it, but probably one of the applications needs to be reinstalled. Before we even consider  that, I would like to go through some of my tests. I will be very basic, not trying to be offensive, just trying to consider every possible step not working.

So let me show how it looks like in my desktop app

Screenshot1.png

It is open on "my library" which is a default hub that Adobe gives you so that the first time you start working on the apps, you already have your own library to work with. It is really ok to save everything in My Library. It was actually what I was doing. And as you can see the brushes in this library, the one in white "dotted" is usable, the other one is made for another desktop app "softblur" and not useable on this one and hence it is dark grey.

This is where you change the library on the desktop libraries window

Screenshot1a.jpg

And this is how it looks for me if I open the window with all the libraries that I created

Screenshot2.png

Those libraries with the icon of two profiles are shared Libraries, they are not really mine so ignore them. If you notice it, there are two called psBrushes and photoshopBrushes. The first one I did with a crappy connection on Adobe Brush. At the very beginning it did not show up on my Photoshop. Once in a wi-fi area I created the other one and all at once both appeared BUT, the two brushes I did for psBrushes were nowhere to be found.

Normally regardless the name of the library, they should all behave the same. It might happen that My Library, the default one, has a bug, and that is why the suggestion was to create a new library, to free the app from any glitch of miscommunication.

To answer you second question, this is how my Adobe Brush looks like right now if I try to create a brush

IMG_3619.PNG

what you see on top "last style" is simply the last option you used. If I now choose a different style to create my brash, it will remember my last choices and that will be on top. If I want to change to another style, and let's say I want to create this one for Ai, then I go down to it and pick one of the different style choices

IMG_3620.PNG

I really hope I answered your questions. What I fear here is that you are meeting some bug that blocks a correct communication between apps and desktop, but I have a hard time guessing which is the bad guy here. I'll go back to the Product Manager for Brush, it is important for Adobe to know about this issue, me thinks. And that creating a new library did not solve the issue.

• 17. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                                        lauras91557391 Level 1

Hi, Flora

OMG! I so much appreciate the detail of your response! Thank you so much.

I am going to have to put this on hold because I am going back to work tomorrow and I come home so tired that I won’t be able to concentrate well on this. The best time for me to go over all that you have provided me here is going to be next two days off - Tuesday and Wednesday of next week.

I have also wondered if the apps on my devices should be deleted and reinstalled. But, I will follow through on your suggestions first, as you recommend.

I do want to mention that I have spent considerable time looking at the Adobe Creative Cloud site trying my darnedest to learn how it all functions. I wish Adobe had a text book like previous “Classroom” books. That is the way I learn best if I can’t be in an actual classroom setting with a teacher. I used to work in downtown San Jose not far from the Adobe headquarters. If I was there now, I would be knocking on their door! : - )

I will get back to you as soon as I can next week.

You are a dear for expending all this energy on my behalf!

Best,

Laura

• 18. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

Well, I wish I was invited to write a classroom in a book (they still exist on adobepress.com or peachpit.com) but I am not sure it will happen in this life.

So I promise to do this: I will write a short up and running with the adobe apps and will start from Brush. Then I will ask Adobe how to upload it on the forum. I am sure there will be room for that.

As soon as uploaded, I will let you know. I can do that .

• 19. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                                            lauras91557391 Level 1

Hi, Flora

Thank you so much for this email. I have read through it.

Regarding the first link you gave me: I have read it several times and probably need to go through it again but I understand the basic premise.

There is a section “Support for Libraries in Creative Cloud Applications that I am not sure I completely understand.

Currently, the apps that I am working with are Adobe Brush (is that the same as Brush CC shown on this chart?), Adobe Sketch (same as Photoshop Sketch on this chart?) and Creative  Cloud mobile app.

I will have to read the resource information again. Regarding Brush CC as shown here - is this saying that I can create a brush (in Adobe Brush) from within my AI Library on my iPad but I cannot use said brush from the Adobe Illustrator Library on my iMac? I am assuming that the word “asset” here refers to a brush that I create. Can you please clarify this for me with regard to what this chart is indicating for Brush CC, PS Sketch and CC mobile app?

I do have over 20 brushes that I created for AI that do appear in My Library in AI on my iMac.

I know that only brushes made specifically for AI will appear in AI and any others will be greyed out.

But why, when I go to My Libraries within Creative Cloud on my iPad do I see only 4? This is the main crux of what is going on.

And, as you indicated, I think that something has to be deleted and reinstalled? But what? And what do I lose in the process?

That’s ok though because this is really frustrating and I would like to see all those components working correctly.

And, it appears that all the issues are with the apps on my devices.

It’s getting late now since I have to get up early.

Many thanks for your persistence in seeking help for me.

Best to you, Flora!

Laura

p

Support for saving assets to Libraries

Support for using assets from Libraries

Resource offering more information

Shape CC

Vector shapes

N/A

Adobe Shape CC FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/shape-faq.html>

Color CC

Color themes

N/A

Adobe Color CC FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/color-faq.html>

Brush CC

Brushes

N/A

Adobe Brush CC FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/brush-faq.html>

Illustrator Draw

N/A

Images and shapes

Adobe Illustrator Draw FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/draw-faq.html>

Photoshop Sketch

N/A

Brushes

Adobe Photoshop Sketch FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/sketch-faq.html>

Illustrator Line

N/A

Color and graphics

Adobe Illustrator Line CC FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/line-faq.html>

Hue CC

N/A

Adobe Hue CC FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/hue-faq.html>

Comp CC

N/A

Adobe Comp CC FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/comp-faq.html>

Premiere Clip

N/A

Adobe Premiere Clip FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/clip-faq.html>

Photoshop Mix

N/A

Adobe Photoshop Mix FAQ <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/mobile-apps/help/mix-faq.html>

Creative Cloud mobile app

N/A

Creative Cloud | Common Questions <https://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/creative-cloud/faq.html>

• 20. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

hi back!

my pleasure indeed. Please, to answer this I need some good time and right now I am about to take a train for a week vacation. If you can have the patience to wait until next week, I will be back with a complete answer.

thanks for understanding!

• 21. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                                                lauras91557391 Level 1

Flora,

I hope you have a terrific vacation! No problem waiting a week or so. You are helping me!

Travel safely,

Laura

• 22. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                                                  lauras91557391 Level 1

Flora,

I hope you have a terrific vacation! No problem waiting a week or so. You are helping me!

Travel safely,

Laura

• 23. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac

Hi Laura!

Sorry for getting back so late. To start with, I am writing a small handy manual for you that I hope will come to help you, putting together all knowledges that there are around, so if you are more of the reading user and not the video watcher, you're having your material in a PDF.

Secondly I would ask you to check a thing for me as to your library not updating as this morning I had the same issue as you: I created some brushes and they did not appear on my library in Photoshop.

It is where I discovered this little icon

1.jpg

Now - when I clicked on it, it warned me that my libraries were not updated, that I needed to re-sync. Now, I suppose the thing might be some log in log out or update made to either Ai or Ps that had the Libraries to not follow. So please, check this button and see that everything works there. It might happen that it is not synchronised.

That is what that button does. It synchronises the desktop app to the mobile apps and it has to be checked.

Please, give it a try and let me know!

• 24. Re: Discrepancy in number of brushes: iPad and iMac
                                                      lauras91557391 Level 1

Welcome back, Flora!

Hope you had a wonderful vacation. Thanks for continuing to help me.

I will look at the link you sent soon. Most likely, I will need a few days to respond. I am back to work tomorrow for three days. I will be back in touch next week about this time to let you know how things are going.

Talk soon!

Laura