4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2015 1:31 PM by Max Zenk

Excluding all mouth shapes from camera tracking

Max Zenk

Let me beginn with saying:

I just LOVE the Character Animator! It's so much fun, and so many possibilities!!

I have a quick question:

How can I EXCLUDE al mouth shapes from camera tracking, but still have tracking on everything else?

I could not figure out how to attach all mouth shapes to a fixed anchor point, if that's the way to go.

Thanks for any help!

Best

Max

• 1. Re: Excluding all mouth shapes from camera tracking
          Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

Thanks for the kind words, Max.

In your artwork file, if you just rename the "Mouth" group to something else, it won't be picked up by the Face or Lip Sync behaviors. Just set the contents of the mouth to whatever static artwork you want, and that should work. If it doesn't, please provide a screenshot of how the mouth layers are set up in the artwork file (i.e., in the Layers panel).

• 2. Re: Excluding all mouth shapes from camera tracking
            Max Zenk Level 1

Hey Jeff, thanks for your answer.

Sorry, I think I was not clear enough in my description.

I DO want the Lip Sync to be working, but I don't want the mouth shape(s) to be transformed/moved at all.

So in general I would just like to have the audio analyzed for lipsync, and use face tracking only for the movement of the pupils (and blinking).

Why? I'm rigging a stop motion scene, so the footage I have can't be tranformed or the trick will show

I'm totally hooked on the idea "Character Animator X Stop Motion" and trying to make it work - this would be incredible new opportunities for stop motion. (I'm working on a feature request list too )

I attached a screenshot of my layer setup.

Thanks for looking into this!

Max

Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-24 um 08.42.38.pngstudioflox_dimitri_characteranimator001.jpg

• 3. Re: Excluding all mouth shapes from camera tracking
              Jeff Almasol Adobe Employee

Hey Max, Just to confirm... by mouth shapes, do you mean the Neutral, Surprised, and Smile expressions that get triggered when you make those expressions in front of the webcam? If so, just delete those three layers. If you mean movement of any of the expressions in the Mouth group, try reducing the Parallax Strength parameter value for the Face behavior in the Properties panel. If you mean something else, please provide additional details. I also noticed you have the Left Eye and Right Eye subpuppets/groups outside of the Head. Was that because you didn't want them to move when you moved your head? You could also just keep them in the Head group, and then set the Head Position Strength, Head Scale Strength, and Head Tilt Strength values to 0, but that's up to you. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Excluding all mouth shapes from camera tracking
                Max Zenk Level 1

Hey Jeff,

thank you!

In the Track Item Behaviors I zeroed

- Head Position

- Head Scale

- Head Tilt

- Parallax

Now my mouth layer stays exactly where it should be, eye movement still being tracked. Great!

Thanks!

Bildschirmfoto 2015-07-25 um 22.28.27.png