4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 7:54 AM by A.T. Romano

Convert iPhone video to DVD

Quid12345

Before I purchase this product, I want to ensure that any video captured from my iPhone (.mov files) can be converted to DVD and will display full screen when watching the playback on TV.  Every time I try to convert the videos to DVD, I get pillar boxes on each side and a narrow band of video in the middle of the screen.  Is there a process to convert these iPhone videos to full screen?

• 1. Re: Convert iPhone video to DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1st, you will most likely have to convert your iPhone video before you may edit in Premiere Elements

Some people find that Apple video (iphone etc) won't edit easily because it uses a variable frame rate

- A possible fix in message #22 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934466

- or use https://handbrake.fr/ open source transcoder/converter

2nd, a DVD is NTSC = 720x480 with PAR .9 to display at 4:3 or PAR = 1.212 for 16:9

So you will need to fit your video to the correct pixel aspect ratio to work on a DVD, no matter what program you use

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

• 2. Re: Convert iPhone video to DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

quid

Assuming you just purchased Premiere Elements 13 (current version), what computer operating system is involved?

Several factors going on here...

1. Cell phone video is typically recorded with a variable rather than a constant frame rate. Premiere Elements does not fare well with this situation. The problems range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. The typical solution is to take your cell phone video in the free HandBrake to obtain H.264.mp4 with constant frame rate and import that into the Premiere Elements project.

https://handbrake.fr/

2. You need to have installed QuickTime latest version on your computer along with Premiere Elements and running the programs as administrator.

3. Your immediate resolution issue....project and export settings. For this we need to know...

a. what are the properties of the video from the cell phone...frame size, frame rate, etc. I suspect that you have a 1080p video with a variable frame rate.

b. what you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set as the project preset to match the properties of your cell phone video.

c. what Publish+Share/Disc/ choice you are making - DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc.

Proper setting of import and export settings are expected to take care of this issue.

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Convert iPhone video to DVD
              Quid12345 Level 1

I converted an iphone video clip to MP4/H264 using Handbrake but when I import the MP4 video clip I am unable to rotate the clip back to portrait.

• 4. Re: Convert iPhone video to DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Quid12345

Thanks for the reply.

How are you trying to rotate the clip to another orientation other than what you saw at import?

1. Right clicking the Timeline clip, and selecting either Rotate 90 Left or Rotate 90 Right?

or

2. Highlighting/selecting the clip, going to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and the Rotation option in about the middle of that expanded Panel?

Originally you said that your goal was to watch your cell phone video in DVD-VIDEO format on DVD disc using TV DVD player. Video is typically landscape oriented. So, I am not seeing how you will escape black borders in your TV viewing if the images in the video are portrait oriented. I do not know of any advanced settings in a TV player that can convert your portrait oriented video with black borders to full screen without black borders.

Going back to your exact wording when you started your thread

Every time I try to convert the videos to DVD, I get pillar boxes on each side and a narrow band of video in the middle of the screen.  Is there a process to convert these iPhone videos to full screen?

One suggestion would be to record your cell phone video holding the cell phone in a different orientation than what you have been.

Please review and consider and then we can discuss this some more based on the details in your reply.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR