9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 2:31 PM by dougward

Is there a way to render Faster ??

dougward Level 1

Hi Everybody-

I'm kinda new to AE, and so far i'm having a great time learning, I have recently down loaded some AE Photo Slide Show templates and after I've made my changes, added my photos and saved it, I add it to the "Render Que", I pick my location to save the video and I hit render and it says it will take 5-6 hours to Render,,,,Really ???? it's only a 1 Min. 45 Sec. video and I wouldn't think that it would take that long, but I might be wrong. Below are my spec's

Windows 8.1

6GB Ram

500 GB Hard Drive

Intel Core i5 Processor

Is there anyway I can speed the render process up at all ???

Thanks- Douglas

• 1. Re: Is there a way to render Faster ??
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You have barely enough RAM to let AE run. That would make a difference.

Your processor also makes a huge difference. Yours isn't excellent either.

If the template you're using uses the ray-traced renderer and you don't have the right GPU, it could take a really long time too.

• 2. Re: Is there a way to render Faster ??
            dougward Level 1

Is there a way to change "ray-traced" to something that can speed it up ??

Thanks- Douglas

• 3. Re: Is there a way to render Faster ??

The ray-traced renderer is kinda crappy. The AE team isn't even developing it anymore.

You can change your composition to use the standard renderer in your composition settings>advanced settings.

If the comp uses the ray-traced renderer, it'll look a bit different if you switch it.

• 4. Re: Is there a way to render Faster ??
                dougward Level 1

Thanks, I appreciate the info and help, One thing I forgot to mention earlier is that I do have two hard drives, I have one for the OS and another for all other items, now, I know it will help to render the footage to the other drive that the source footage is NOT on, but I also have a 320 GB external drive (USB 3.0), do you think it would be beneficial to render to that instead of the secondary drive ????

Thanks in advance

Sincerely- Douglas

• 5. Re: Is there a way to render Faster ??
                  dougward Level 1

O.K., I just made some adjustments in AE and switched my render location to my secondary drive (the one that does not have my source footage) and told AE to use all 4 of my core processors and my render time went from 5-6 hours to 8 min. for 1 Min. 26 Sec. of footage,to me,,,thats a huge improvement, my ram hovered at 50-60 % usage and my drive that i rendered it to hovered around 85-90 % so what you told me to do and some other tips I found as well seamed to make a big difference, I know other projects might/will render different depending on there structure/effects, etc. but I can deal with 8 Min. or so as opposed to 5-6 hours as before.

Thank you for your help Szalam

And, I think I'll start saving for a better laptop as well

Sincerely- Douglas

• 6. Re: Is there a way to render Faster ??

Sorry, I should have asked what version of AE you were using. I could have jumped straight into multiprocessing suggestions if I had thought to ask!

Saving for a better computer isn't a bad idea either. However, I would recommend a desktop or workstation instead of a mobile computer. You get a lot more bang for your buck!

One helpful thing is to have an internal SSD to use for AE's cache and have a different drive (or drives) for your footage and renders.

USB 3 is fast enough to be useful as long as your laptop has a USB 3 slot!

• 7. Re: Is there a way to render Faster ??
                      dougward Level 1

Hi There- I'm using AE CS6

and yes, I have a USB 3.0 slot on my pc. Thanks for the tips on the desktop, the only reason I was focused on a high power laptop is I love the portability, I can work on it during lunch and take it with me when I travel, etc. I have been seeing some with 16 GB ram and a bunch of other stuff (LOL)

If you have any other tips regarding rendering, I'd love to hear them or multi-processing

Sincerely- Douglas

• 9. Re: Is there a way to render Faster ??
                        dougward Level 1

Yea, I'm doing o.k., I am noticing though that some AE templates are much more resource heavier than others, so some don't work near as well as others, so for now, I'm limited to certain AE templates, slideshows, and intro's, etc.

Thanks much- Douglas