4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 3:05 PM by av8rphoto

New MBP and two 4gb raid 0 drives 7200rpm or replace one with smaller SSD

av8rphoto

Hello,

Let me apologize if this in the forum somewhere.  I've been looking for 4 hours through the posts and can't find one with this question answered.

I ordered a new Macbook Pro items listed below.

15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display

• 2.8GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
      • 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
      • 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
      • Intel Iris Pro Graphics + AMD Radeon R9 M370X with 2GB GDDR5 memory

So in my research it seems like the best setup is going to be adding two additional drives. 

I would like to purchase the LaCie 9000601 Rugged Raid Thunderbolt Drive.  Its configured as a raid 0 4gb (2x2gb configured raid 0)  Read and write speed is rated at 240 MB/s.  For the third drive is there going to be any speed up if I made it a SSD drive with read and write speeds above 400 MB/s?  If I'm not going to see any significant speed up I would like to make the 3rd drive an additional LaCie.

So the two setups would be:

C: 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage

D: 4GB raid 0 thunderbolt drive

E: 4GB raid 0 thunderbolt drive

C: 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage

D: 4GB raid 0 thunderbolt drive

E: 500 MB SSD with read and write of at least 400 MB/s

I will mainly be editing 4K video from a phantom 3 drone.  Most of the videos will only require some basic editing/transitions and possibly color correction.  I would like to edit real time or close to it and have any rendering times as low as possible. I will be editing in Premiere Pro CS6 and might upgrade to CC.

I appreciate any feedback.  If there isn't much difference I would like the #1 setup as it provides an extra 3.5 GB or storage and is cheaper at the same time.

Thanks for your input and help.

Gary