m.2 for os/apps
Revodrive 350 for cache
samsung 850 pro ssd raid for media ( swapping current project files to the raid )
m.2 for os/apps
samsung 850 pro ssd raid for cache
large hdd raid 0, 5, or 6 to store all media ( a large enough raid would avoid moving files around )
im guessing all the media is too much to fit on any of your current raid setups, which means you would have to purchase several large hdd's to build a large enough raid for option 2.
I'm going to answer your question first and then will put some summary notes regarding how the cost of this pretty expensive beast could have been better targeting what you are trying to do here. This won't help you at all, but may help some others following this thread.
You have lots of RAM, a very fast Areca controller, and two separate fast drive/arrays (Revodrive 350, 4x Samsung 850 SSD RAID 0) so here are some guidelines of things to try to get the best setup -- you will have to do some testing here as there are LOTs of variables with Windows, Adobe programs (cache, scratch, RAM allocation, etc.), and your various drive possibilities:
- turn Windows drive indexing off for ALL drives and arrays
- for all drives NOT on Areca controller: set drive device properties with "enable write caching" and "turn off windows write-cache buffer flushing" both checked
- for both arrays on Areca controller with rotating drives: set drive device properties with "enable write caching" and "turn off windows write-cache buffer flushing" both checked
- for 4x SSD array on Areca: disable write caching (Areca caching is enough)
- explore Adobe memory setting: experiment with much larger settings for "RAM reserved for other applications" that Adobe's default (i.e. try 12GB or even 32GB); CC and Audition don't seem to care that much about having more than 32GB RAM for the application but Windows caching can sometimes do some good with it
- use the rotating drive arrays for backups and storage
- Set Control panel/Power Options setting to "high performance"
Possible good allocation for drives - again this is "possible", you will need to benchmark various options to determine the "best" for your particular system:
- Windows/windows cache/programs - Samsung M.2 (I'm assuming that this is already your boot drive)
- media/projects files - Revo 350
- scratch/cache files - 4x 850 pro array
- media cache db files - Samsung M.2
- media/projects file - 4x 850 pro array
- scratch/cache/media cache db - Samsung M.2
Better bang for the buck system for your intended purpose could have been:
- i7-5960x on Asus x99 overclocked to 4.4 GHz (while 2x e5-2630 Xeons have lots of cores they simply don't have that high a clock speed)
- GTX Titan X
- single 256GB boot drive = Samsung 850 pro (Boot/OS/program files)
- 4x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSDs RAID 0 on motherboard (ALL other files, including windows cache)
- other drives for backup storage, etc.
I love Areca controllers but using them for RAID 0 only is pretty much overkill. Their parity RAID arrays are very fast (RAID 5, RAID 6, RAID 3) vs. any motherboard solution and protect against data loss for drive failures.
Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them. Yes, I am discovering the
wisdom of your "better bang for the buck" suggestions...