6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 12:46 AM by vincentp62

where to find InDesign plug-ins

vincentp62

Hello,

Do you know where to find a directory of all plug-ins for InDesign?

The Adobe add-ons site is incomplete (many commercial plug-ins are not listed).

What i'm looking is a plug-in which can replace images with same name, a different file path and a different extension (.eps instead of .jpg).

Thanks,

Vincent

• 1. Re: where to find InDesign plug-ins
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

For this, you need no additional plugin, this is an in-built functionality, as you go to the Link Panel menu > (Depending on the version on different places commands with relinkt ot folder, to different extensions, etc.)

But I would strongly, VERY STRONGLY, recommend you not to use EPS anymore for new files.

If you have vector files, use AI or PDF/X-4 instead.

If you have images without transparency use JPG with high quality.

If you have images with transparency use PSD.

If you have images with text and/or vector combined use PDF or PDP.

BUT DON'T USE EPS.

• 2. Re: where to find InDesign plug-ins
            vincentp62 Level 1

Thanks for the quick answer.

I agree for not using EPS, but in that case its one of my clients who still use eps files for the production of their catalog.

Could you tell me why you didn't mentioned .tif files in your recommendations?

About the in-built functionality in the Link panel menu: i can relink manually each image no matter the file path, name or extension of a file, but relink all files of a folder when the extension has changed is impossible. It is possible only if the name and extension are identical.

Do you agree on that or did i miss a functionality in the link Panel?

• 3. Re: where to find InDesign plug-ins
              Pickory Level 3

I think I have seen this question asked on the scripting forum.

Pluginsworld is quite a good resource for commercial plugins.

http://www.pluginsworld.com

P.

• 4. Re: where to find InDesign plug-ins
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I did not mention TIFF, because PSD has a better preview and in exchange with Photoshop, only PSD supports every functionality. TIFF makes only sense with a very large image, more than 10.000px per edge.

But you should educate your client not to use EPS anymore. Why does he insist in it?

• 5. Re: where to find InDesign plug-ins
                  vincentp62 Level 1

I had already found it but i'm using Chrome and the site wasn't working at all on Chrome… After your response i just tried to view it in Safari: the site seems to work here…

So thanks for your reply ;-)

• 6. Re: where to find InDesign plug-ins
                    vincentp62 Level 1

I guess the force of habit. It worked for them and their printer.

But they are open to new processes now.

In the mean time, production goes and intermediary solutions have to be found ;-)