2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 6:58 AM by A.T. Romano

message  says " the importer reported a generic error " when trying to import a .mov

melco

Why am I getting an message that says " the importer reported a generic error " when trying to import a .mov file recorded from an iphone into my media for my project

• 1. Re: message  says " the importer reported a generic error " when trying to import a .mov
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Which version of the program are you using and on what operating system?

Have you installed the latest version of Quicktime to your computer, per the program's requirements?

MOVs from iPhones, iPods and iPods should load right into a Premiere Elements project. However, for best performance, when you start your Premiere Elements project, be sure to go to Settings and select the settings for Full AVCHD 1920x1080.

• 2. Re: message  says " the importer reported a generic error " when trying to import a .mov
            A.T. Romano Level 7

melco

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running? I will assume Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit for now.

I would agree that making sure you have the latest version of QuickTime installed is important/System Requirement, especially for the import and export of a file with a .mov file extension.

Most cell phone are giving 1080p and not 1080i video and with a variable rather than constant frame rate. So, to be considered

a. Variable frame has problems with cell phone video and with other devices that record with a variable frame rate. The typical solution for this is to take your video into the free HandBrake program  https://handbrake.fr/   to get a H.264.mp4 with a constant frame rate that you then import into the Premiere Elements project. The major symptoms of this problem range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all.

b. If you have 1080p video, you (manually) or the project (automatically) needs to set the project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97 or DSLR 1080p30

and not

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

If you have 1080i video, then

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

If the project (automatically) cannot analyze your video when it is the first file dragged to the Timeline, it gives you its default which is the 1080i. Consequently, just because the project "says so", the setting is incorrect for 1080p video. In that case, you set the project preset manually File Menu/New/Project according to the scheme

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
            • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
            • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
            • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Please consider. Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR