19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 12:31 PM by Bill Gehrke

Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive

asdfadf;spsknbs;fgkmbs

Hi, i'm sure this has been asked many times, but a brief succinct answer would be handy, rather than trawling through opinion and counter-opinion

I need to buy a new laptop for PPro editing, my budget is £700 max, however whilst i can find reasonable laptops with good memory (12gb), processor and gpx card, i've not yet been able to find one with a fast enough internal hard drive (i.e. faster than 5400 RPM) which, by all accounts, seems to be too slow.

Am i correct in thinking that the internal hard drive doesnt really matter, because i can just buy a faster external hard drive and use that instead?

If so, please can someone advise on what type of external hard drive i should be looking at?

Many thanks,

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

asdfadf;spsknbs;fgkmbs wrote:

Am i correct in thinking that the internal hard drive doesnt really matter, because i can just buy a faster external hard drive and use that instead?

No.  You need both a fast internal hard drive for OS and a fast external hard drive for media.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
            Peferling Level 4

+1 with Peru Bob.  I have a Lattitude E7440, 16GB ram, with an internal SSD, and use an external SSD via USB3 for media.  Even though it uses an underpowered Intel HD graphics chipset, it works fine for basic projects and cutting in the field on 2014.2.

It can be pricey, but swapping in an SSD made all the difference.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Unless you are just editing SD forget anything with old fashioned hard disk drives in laptop usage.  As Peferling said you want as a minimum one internal SSD or at least a plan to upgrade to a SSD.  And then get a very fast USB 3 Flash  Drive for the second drive like one of the new Samsung T1 drives or For instance a Patriot Supersonic Magnum flash drive.  Also you want a Quad Core Intel CPU at a very minimum.

Do not forget that Adobe's minimum screen size is:

• 1280 x 800 display
              • 4. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                BartonGarrett256 Level 3

One attached to a big powerful desktop.  I just don't see how you could do serious editing of 1080 much less 4K on a laptop.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

I'll be the odd man out and suggest that for a good editing experience, the starting point is five internal hard drives.

C: Windows and Programs

D: Projects, audio and still images

E: Cache and Scratch

F: Camera Media

G: Exports

In addition, working on anything less than a 24" 1920 x 1080 monitor will be unpleasant.

So laptops are just a very poor choice for editing machines.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                    Peferling Level 4

I just don't see how you could do serious editing of 1080 much less 4K on a laptop.

My intern would disagree.  He's editing 1080p MXF, a couple of layers deep, including a few layers for titles and graphics on my E7440 with no issue.  I also have one of those $10K workstations and he's able work on projects that originated from that.  It's a little slower in the render department, but not by much.  Most of which is attributed to working with native MXF files, and avoid formats that require conforming, etc.  Horses for courses, I say.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                      BartonGarrett256 Level 3

A stud you are.  I just can't imagine running multiple projects with all their media on anything less than 8 or 10 drives.  Anyone who can do that on one screen on one laptop, and include backups and archiving, not as an accessory but as the primary and only is a god.  I'll buy their book.  I'm just a belt and suspenders guy I guess.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive

Jim, it depends on what you are doing.  My projects are all stand-alone events.  I do not need vast libraries of older files.  I can easily have all the media and project files on a 128 GB Flash Drive and since there are some USB 3.0 flash drives that are three times the speed of most hard drives you can easily have multiple functions on the same device.  Gone are the days of requiring multiple Hard drives when you have high speed SSD's

Samsung-T1.png

Samsung T1 256 GB

My new X99 based tower computer will not have any hard drives inside the unit.  As I have 20+ hard drives accumulated over the years I will have an external eSATA docking station for the rare occasion of looking at old data.

It sure is nice editing from my favorite overstuffed family room chair on this laptop.  1080 AVCHD with three camera timelines plus several other layers is a "piece-of-cake".  As I just acquired a new Sony FDR-AX100 I will be reporting on that in the next few weeks but I can currently play the 4K clips without a lost frame!

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                          Peferling Level 4

A stud you are.  I just can't imagine running multiple projects with all their media on anything less than 8 or 10 drives.  Anyone who can do that on one screen on one laptop, and include backups and archiving, not as an accessory but as the primary and only is a god.  I'll buy their book.  I'm just a belt and suspenders guy I guess.

Yeah, it defies all logic.  Like I said, I have one of those $10K machines as my primary suite, (my sixth one since 1999).  None-the-less, that laptop and it's silly little USB3 external drive is working and having done so for some 40 projects over the last year without a single issue. 

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                            BartonGarrett256 Level 3

I will be impressed when you lose the big machine and do everything on the laptop.  This guy was not looking for an accessory, he was looking for, as far as I can tell, one computer to edit on.  And I have not looked lately but I suspect a laptop with a nest of 4TB SSDs might come in a tiny bit over his 700 euro budget.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                              Peferling Level 4

I suspect a laptop with a nest of 4TB SSDs might come in a tiny bit over his 700 euro budget

It's last years model laptop, single external SSD, much cheaper as post lease on ebay:.Dell Latitude E7440 14" FHD 1080p i7 4600U 8GB 256GB SSD HDMI Business Ultrabook | eBay

I would imagine that your suggestion is a bit over 700 euro as well, no?

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive

700 Euros is unrealistic.  The laptop I have is about $1500 dollars

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                                  asdfadf;spsknbs;fgkmbs Level 1

Thanks all very much. I understand having a laptop at all is sacrificing performance compared with a PC, however i need to be mobile.

My projects are generally documentaries, as follows:

• HD (not 4k)
                                  • No longer than 10 minutes
                                  • No more than 3 layers (i.e. footage, captions and may be a tiny bit of AfterEffect-based infographic)
                                  • Standalone projects i.e. i do not need continual access to libraries of older files

Therefore i think a laptop with small internal SSD and larger HDD for general storage would suffice. Would i still need an external fast hard drive?

Thanks.

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive

Therefore i think a laptop with small internal SSD and larger HDD for general storage would suffice. Would i still need an external fast hard drive?

No, but I would strongly suggest getting at least a one fast USB 3 Flash Drive and use it for for your video projects.  With your short projects even a $55 64 GB drive for all your current video project would be more than adequate storage and it would be more than twice as fast as any hard drive.  That would make the internal hard drive optional, which would make it easier to find a reasonable priced laptop, and/or get a good quad core hyperthreaded CPU.

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                                      Peferling Level 4

700 Euros is unrealistic.  The laptop I have is about $1500 dollars

Never underestimate the value of a corporate lease return/refurb from a trusted vendor.  I have several of those $1200 latitude laptops, including a few $6000 precision workstations over the years, snagged for 10% of the cost when new.  Sure, some of them need upgrades (also cheap) and require a builders knowledge.  Many of them are three years and old and still working.  I have friends and family whom spend $600 for new and they get what they pay for and much it barely last's a year.   That same $600 would get 3x the quality in hardware from eBay.   If 700 Euros is all he has, then eBay is a serious option to consider until he makes enough to get what he really wants.

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive

I did only pay $900 for my laptop and added the two SSD's and a memory upgrade.

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                                          asdfadf;spsknbs;fgkmbs Level 1

What spec did you get for $900? I've been looking at the ASUS ROG G551JW, which is called a gaming laptop, but ticks most of the boxes as far as I can see.

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive
                                            Peferling Level 4

My previous employer paid $2500 for an M90 labtop as a CS3 platform, and I paid $125 for refurbed latitude for personal use -which ran CS3 quite well.  When I upgrade to CS6 for freelance work, I bought a refurbed 690 workstation for $320.  I upgraded the ram for $50 and another $200 for a four-drive disk array.  It's on it's third year of use.

So while my work machines machine averaged $6500 a pop, my equally performing personal workstations averaged $500.  I now have a $10k Dell T7610 at work, and plan to get one for personal use, and currently prices for those are sitting at $1500 for comparable units, (bare bones are sitting at $350).  While I can understand why the IT department will not go the eBay route, I've had zero issue with these much cheaper systems for freelance work and when I take work home.    It's not budget, it's access.

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro laptop and hard drive

What I got 18 months ago was a factory refubished ASUS ROG G750JW with a single 5400 rpm drive and only 8 GB of RAM.  I immediately cloned the hard drive and replaced it with the 128 GB Samsung 840 Pro.  I then installed a second 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro and upgraded the memory to 24 GB.  The second SSD is optional if you use a real fast flash drive like I mentioned earlier.

Take a look at this $850 starter system