5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2015 4:44 AM by rob day

Why does using Overprint Preview in InDesign make the app suddenly crash?

Lriteval Level 1

I never had this problem until I updated to the newest version of InDesign, CC 2015. When it first started happening, I came to this forum and ran across a posting that said you could delete the InDesign prefs and let the app create new ones, and that would probably solve the problem. The instructions seemed to be for an older version of InDesign, as I couldn't find the two files called for in the Library folder that you were supposed to delete or move and rename. But I did find one called com.adobe.InDesign.plist, and I figured this was probably the one for the new version, so I moved it out of the preferences folder, opened up InDesign again, and after I opened a few files, I looked in the Library folder again and sure enough, it had created a new .plist file. So I tried to use Overprint Preview in a file that had just strictly type in it, and it worked fine, but when I opened a file that had only 3 small pieces of art in it, it crashed again. What gives? Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why does using Overprint Preview in InDesign make the app suddenly crash?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Nothing has changed with regards to the prefs. They are still in your USER library (and the folders are hidden). See Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 and later

• 2. Re: Why does using Overprint Preview in InDesign make the app suddenly crash?
            Lriteval Level 1

Thank you for your reply, Peter, and I finally found the right prefs files, but getting rid of them and letting it make new prefs didn't seem to help any, so I finally just did an experiment with a brand new document, adding text first, then tried Preview and it worked fine. Then I added one small piece of art and it still previewed fine. But then the next art file I placed and tried Preview, it crashed again. After it relaunched I deleted that particular piece of art and added a different one, and it previewed fine again, until I added that obviously damaged or whatever piece of art that had made it crash, and of course Preview crashed it again. So it appears to be a bad or damaged art file that is causing the crashes, not the Overprint Preview itself, as I had thought. So I've got some really big files, such as one 28-page catalog that I've been working on recently that has hundreds of art files linked to it. I can't get it to Preview without crashing, so there must be some bad files in there, but how in the world do you tell which files are the bad ones without having to go through every single individual file? There MUST be a quicker way of finding the bad ones, but I'm at a loss to know what it is. If you can give me any pointers on how to find them quickly, I'd sure appreciate it. Also, then, my next question would be how do you fix that bad piece of art so it'll be OK again? When I was working on the new test file as I mentioned earlier, adding one piece of art, then the next, when I realized that the one file must be bad, I launched PhotoShop and thought maybe if I opened the file through PS and used the "save as," letting it replace itself, it would fix it, but it didn't seem to do much; after re-placing it in InDD and trying Preview again, it still crashed it. Any help will be very gratefully appreciated!

• 3. Re: Why does using Overprint Preview in InDesign make the app suddenly crash?
              Lriteval Level 1

Peter, I guess I should also add that the InDD file is not showing any errors or any links that need to be re-linked.

• 4. Re: Why does using Overprint Preview in InDesign make the app suddenly crash?
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

To find the problem, the fastest way is to "divide and conquer." Move half the pages to a new document and try the preview. If no crash, those pages are fine and move the other half of the pages to anew document and repeat.

Repeat, dividing any section that fails, until you isolate single pages. You can then use the same method to remove objects (select and cut, then paste in Place to restore them).

• 5. Re: Why does using Overprint Preview in InDesign make the app suddenly crash?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I realized that the one file must be bad, I launched PhotoShop and thought maybe if I opened the file through PS and used the "save as," letting it replace itself, it would fix it, but it didn't seem to do much; after re-placing it in InDD and trying Preview again, it still crashed it.

What format is the bad file? Have you tried saving a flattened copy as a .PSD?