• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UI issues when you change the default font size on Windows

Participant ,
Jul 24, 2015 Jul 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have somewhat limited vision which is especially bad with my high def monitor (2560x1440). Consequently, I set the size default in Windows (Change the size of text, apss and other items in Display Customization) to 125%. When I do this, FrameMaker does not properly draw toolbars or the status bar items on the bottom of the screen (like Zoom). Functionality works but you can wind up hitting the wrong buttom (like remove file instead of Update Book !). Document pages render fine.

Anyone have a solution to this problem? Setting Windows back to 100% makes it a lot harder for me to see.

This is not the only Adobe app that behaves badly but it is the worst of the ones I use regularly.

Thanks for help

**Mac Studio M2 Max** Sonoma (14.4), 32GB/1TB (system/catalog), Photos stored on QNAP all SSD volume connected via 10GbE
**Raw images** Sony A7R - A7RV, A7C (24 MPix), a6700, Sony NEX-7, various Canon DSLRs and G series
**Displays** 2x BenQ SW271C (4K, USB-C)
**Printer** Epson SureColor SC-P800

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: ... high def monitor (2560x1440) ...

What is the screen diagonal size?

The problem isn't the raster size (pixel count), but the pixel pitch (dots per inch). I recommend 27 to 32 inch for FM use‌ at 1440p, and even 27 might be too tight for some eyes.

Windows, and apps for it, never really recovered from early hard-coded assumptions that screen resolution would be less than 100 dots per inch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a 27-inch, NEC high-end monitor.

There are no hard-coded assumptions in Windows about resolution and there are several options for scaling elements when using these smaller pitch displays, all of which are queryable from applications. Unfortunately, Adobe knows best and does not follow UI guidelines nor accessibility guidelines for scaling UI elements. This is the only app that screws up the icon/button placement that I currently use. While Photoshop and Lightroom have their scaling challenges, this isn't something they screw up. C'mon - Frame has a drop down that lets you select 14 to 22-inch monitors? Really? Maybe I expect too much from a $1000 product but that could have been updated sometime in the last 10 years if it is supposed to account for scaling.

**Mac Studio M2 Max** Sonoma (14.4), 32GB/1TB (system/catalog), Photos stored on QNAP all SSD volume connected via 10GbE
**Raw images** Sony A7R - A7RV, A7C (24 MPix), a6700, Sony NEX-7, various Canon DSLRs and G series

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kvetched to the Bugbase yesterday about this & got back a suggestion which I haven’t time to try out yet.

They suggested - Disable scaling for FM : Right click FrameMaker.exe->Properties->Compatibility->check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and then restart FM.

Give it buzz & see if it works for you (& let the rest of us know if it does)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it has some effect. For example, the page display is now readable at 100% instead of having to always go to 120%. I will try to put the font scaling back to 125% and see if it works or not. Thanks.

Right now I have icon set to Large, although that made a minimal difference.

Thanks for the tip, I will try font scaling in Windows again and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m hoping when I test it that I can go back to the 150% setting I was running on pre-FM12 versions – my eyes don’t like 125% much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I can now use the Windows font scaling and it doesn't mess up Frame. Thanks so much! I also tried Photoshop and that's a bit better too (using the Large Font setting).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool – can’t wait to get back to the office to try it out ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that seems to have worked. Now all I need to do is test it via RDP when I'm working from home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a bunch for this -- it worked for me! I'd call it a solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: This is a 27-inch, NEC high-end monitor.

High end doesn't help. Any 27in 1440 monitor is 109 ppi, which is at the borderline for moldy content that assumes legacy monitor resolutions.

re: There are no hard-coded assumptions in Windows about resolution ...

Anymore, mostly, but that's why I said "early hard-coded".

re: ... and there are several options for scaling elements when using these smaller pitch displays, ...

Indeed, but the challenge there is that unless the display has at least 200 ppi, there are going to be visible scaling artifacts.

re: ... all of which are queryable from applications.

And that's the problem, as you point out. In any event, it appears that a work-around is at hand.

Meanwhile, anyone contemplating a 4K (3840x2160) display for FM probably needs to be looking at 41 inches or bigger. I wouldn't bet that Adobe will fix this before Microsoft manages to kill off desktop computing altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 02, 2017 Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile, anyone contemplating a 4K (3840x2160) display for FM probably needs to be looking at 41 inches or bigger. I wouldn't bet that Adobe will fix this before Microsoft manages to kill off desktop computing altogether.

FrameMaker (2017 release) comes with support for 4K screens including high-dpi / high definition screens and the UI scales automatically in steps based on the Windows Display scaling (100/150/200%).

I have FrameMaker 2017 running on a "retina" screen (15" / 2.880 × 1.800 / 220.53 PPI) and it looks great 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2017 Oct 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just upgraded to FM 2017. I'm on Windows 10 using a big monitor, with these settings (see screenshot below):

It looks okay, but in fact the program is not usable, because the cursor jumps elsewhere when I try to click into a menu command. The Zoom - Default setting is no solution.

Any suggestions? thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have you applied the latest patch? IIRC there was an issue with FM2017 that was fixed after release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines