2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 7:56 AM by johnrellis

Why do thumbnail previews turn upside down in Lightroom 5 and Lightroom CC?

Captain Eddie Level 1

When I connect an iPhone or camera (or insert an SD card) into my MacBook, Lightroom first presents the thumbnail images correctly, but then, they begin to turn upside down.  Eventually, after a few minutes, they're ALL upside down!  If I read them into Lightroom, they're correct.  But, seeing the thumbnails all upside down is disconcerting and makes them difficult to work with. 

This is on a MacBook that has NOTHING installed on it except Lightroom 5 and Lightroom CC.  I erased the hard drive, installed OS X Yosemite, did Apple's updates, installed Lightroom 5, observed this problem, then installed Creative Cloud and Lightroom CC. 

I have a number of screen snaps that show the images upside down.  I even have screen snaps that show some of them correct and some upside down, taken while the images were in the process of inverting themselves.

• 1. Re: Why do thumbnail previews turn upside down in Lightroom 5 and Lightroom CC?
          vandanacathy Level 1

I am having the exact same problem! I am connecting my iPhone 6 to Lightroom 6, trying to import about 3000 photos. At first I get Preview not available and then eventually they all show up, looking fine. I scroll down to see if they are all included and as I scroll back up they are all turning upside down before my eyes, as though something is corrupt. I then cancel the import since I am concerned about corrupting my entire catalog and try again...same thing happens every time! Seems like a bug to me. What should I do? Just go ahead and continue the import?

• 2. Re: Why do thumbnail previews turn upside down in Lightroom 5 and Lightroom CC?
            johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

I'm not sure of the exact cause of this issue.  But once a photo is imported, if it is rotated incorrectly, you can always rotate it correctly by doing Photo > Rotate Left or > Rotate Right (see the menu for keyboard shortcuts).  You can select multiple photos and rotate them all at once.

I suggest importing just a couple of photos and testing this procedure, just to be confident, before importing all 3000 photos.