2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2015 8:52 PM by deutydabeast

Performance Issues when using TimeWarp

deutydabeast

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out why a fully updated AE CS6 is having performance issues on a relatively high-end build. I'm attempting to use the timewarp effect to make slow-motion scenes but AE runs so slowly once I drag it onto a clip that its unusable.

I have read the performance-boosting article that shows how to increase hard drive cache (I'm running it from an SSD by the way) and adjust how much RAM and how many cores are used, has no effect.

Here is my build specifications:

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz

RAM: 16GB 1866mhz Corsair Vengeance

SSD

GPUs: 2 x GTX980

OS: I have tried it on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview, no difference. Both fully updated.

I also tried the Creative Cloud trial version to see if it runs better there, it still runs slowly.

Any help or input is appreciated.

• 1. Re: Performance Issues when using TimeWarp
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

It might be the footage.  Stuff like AVCHD, mp4, mpeg and h.264 have interframe compression -- not every frame has complete image information... just the stuff that changed from one frame to the next.  If you mess with time using it, AE has to re-build the incomplete frames first, and THEN it has to mess with the time.

The fix -- use a good inTRAframe codec.  I like quicktimes in Photo JPEG, ProRes 422, PNG or Animation.

• 2. Re: Performance Issues when using TimeWarp
            deutydabeast Level 1

I failed to think of anything besides the frame rate of the footage, thank you so much. Would you suggest using software to first change the codec of the footage or does it have to be captured in the right codec? And if it is possible to use software (like Media Encoder) to change it without losing quality, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks again!