6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2015 9:38 AM by Jao vdL

Just upgraded to Lightroom 6 and it is excruciatingly slow.

ravig41905426

I tried disabling the graphics processor and have had no difference in performance. I'm going back to v5.7 which was considerable faster. I'm extremely disappointed with this release and having shelled out the money the product has gone backwards. I would have expected the development team to have tested the product properly before releasing it and putting all the pros in pain. FYI the software is running on the latest MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM.

• 1. Re: Just upgraded to Lightroom 6 and it is excruciatingly slow.
          Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Since you've provided precious little description of what you mean by 'excruciatingly slow' then it's a tad difficult to offer any suggestions as to why or how the issue might be resolved. May be you could spend a few moments doing so, otherwise your post will slip off the page into obscurity.

• 2. Re: Just upgraded to Lightroom 6 and it is excruciatingly slow.
            Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On my similar MacBookPro I get the same speed as 5.7 when I turn OFF the graphic card acceleration in Preferences->Performance. Having it turned on speeds up a few things in Develop but slows down loading images into Develop as well as brushes and other more complex operations. It is not worth it in my opinion except maybe if you have an extremely beefy graphic card which the mobile cards in MBPs apparently aren't. Also, if Lightroom is indexing faces in the background, the whole program turns to mush. Best to not do that for all images but only for small batches at a time. You can check whether this is the problem in the little triangle near the logo on the top left. Make sure it is paused.

• 3. Re: Just upgraded to Lightroom 6 and it is excruciatingly slow.
              ravig41905426 Level 1

Thank you, Ian and Jao, for your feedback. I'm sorry for my not explaining clearly. Here are the details:

• Catalog with about 3000 images (catalog in the MacBook Pro SSD drive)
                • SSD Drive Free Space 85 GB (Lightroom Cache 30 GB)
              • Original + Smart Preview
              • LaCie 2Big Thunderbolt 2 RAID Drive connected (it has the original images)
                • Free Space 800 GB
              • MacBook Pro 15" Retina
                • 2.3 GHz Core i7
                • 16 GB RAM
                • OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)
                • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB
              • What I experience: While editing virtual copy images in my collection moving from one image to another via arrow keys takes about a second or more for the next image to load. I copy most of my develop settings and paste for subsequent images before making additional edits. It is also slow when I paste the develop settings and for the changes to appear. When I say slow, I compare it with the speed I have experienced in LR v5.7.1 (64 bit). In v6 (not CC), I've tried the same things with Graphics Processor disabled and it is still the same. Tried the same changes and restarting Lightroom with no change.
              • I experience the same slow response any of the develop function features like Crop Overlay, Spot Removal, Gradual Filter, etc.
              • I checked the triangle near the logo and everything is paused and I don't sync with mobile either.

I hope the details I have provided helps you understand what I'm experiencing.

Thank you very much for your help.

• 4. Re: Just upgraded to Lightroom 6 and it is excruciatingly slow.

>moving from one image to another via arrow keys takes about a second or more for the next image to load

That's pretty normal though even with SSD drives. If you enable graphics card acceleration using the arrow keys to move between images in Develop is one thing that slows down considerably. But about a second to move between images in Develop is fairly typical. Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are referring to.

> I experience the same slow response any of the develop function features like Crop Overlay, Spot Removal, Gradual Filter, etc.

That is strange. As soon as the image is loaded into Develop, you should have seamless transition between these tools and no delay when going between them. These are the things that are made excruciatingly slow by enabling graphics acceleration though and the reason why I run with it turned off as the delays when using those were making using Lightroom not much fun anymore.

• 5. Re: Just upgraded to Lightroom 6 and it is excruciatingly slow.
                  ravig41905426 Level 1

Thank you very much, Jao. I appreciate your response.

I understand that there's a slight delay when moving through images using the arrow keys. The difficulty I have is that when I move back to v5.7.1, the delay is significantly lower which is what causes the frustration. I'm going to try to do the edits with Graphics Acceleration turned off for a whole day and report back on what I see. Didn't see much difference when I tested it but then it was only for a short while.

The tools, for example the Crop Overlay takes about a second to turn the grids on once I click on it. Wasn't the case in the previous version.

Thank you again for your quick response.

• 6. Re: Just upgraded to Lightroom 6 and it is excruciatingly slow.

Very frustrating indeed. There are quite a few people that experience a significant slowdown with LR 6/CC. Others don't see a difference. I was initially very disappointed with performance on a similar setup with most of my recent images on SSD and the rest on a fast RAID. The same sort of symptoms. Long waits when switching images. Very bad brush performance and choppy gradient filters. Extremely slow spot repair. Then I turned off graphics acceleration and it was normal again. This is clearly not a panacea and doesn't solve the problem for everybody though. I am not seeing much difference with LR 5 currently.

Beyond this one thing I wouldn't really know what else could be a problem. Your setup seems well balanced and should be quite speedy.