6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2015 6:34 PM by jimjonesWRS

Interface does not show collection names?

jimjonesWRS Level 1

First I'm going to apologize if I'm not using the right terminology - I've Googled this and still not sure I've found the right words.

I'm using a 2015 MacBook Pro with retina display (in case it matters). I just imported my main library, about 50K images, from Aperture into Lightroom. My photos are all referenced images, and I use a hierarchical structure both on the HDD where they're stored as well as in Aperture. The hierarchy is <folder for year of shoot>/<folder for month of shoot>/<project named "MM-DD-YY shoot name">. The images in Aperture were always in that lowest level project...so if I went to a project called "04-13-15 Muir Woods," I knew exactly which shoot I was looking at.

So, now...in Lightroom my images have the same structure (and they're still referenced files), BUT - the name of the collection doesn't show up in the side panel. The collection name shows as "0":

The odd thing is - in the section where it shows me the number of photos in the collection, how many are selected, etc., it shows me the name of the collection:

Is there any way to have the sidebar show the actual name of the collection in the side panel?

• 1. Re: Interface does not show collection names?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

If "You" Created those folders, Year (Name) Month (Name) and so on, on your hard drive Open the Macintosh HD heading and look for them there. The Folders themselves should all be there with the correct naming.

IMHO (although I never used Aperture) Apple Screwed the pooch and the users when they made both iPhoto and Aperture. I used a Mac for a few years and honestly I couldn't wait to get back to Windows where the Users have some control. Rant over.

If those folder aren't there I suggest you Import from those folder instead of importing your Aperture library.

• 2. Re: Interface does not show collection names?

Your Events that were created in Aperture got put into the Collect area because LR doesn't really know what to do with them. Why the full name isn't being displayed I don't know.

• 3. Re: Interface does not show collection names?
              jimjonesWRS Level 1

Thanks for the answers! Good strategy, but this introduces a problem...

When I go into the "Folders" view, the folders are all in a jumbled mess. I don't see any of the hierarchy - just the folder names, and some of the folders don't show all the images for that shoot.

What's worse - in the folders view, a specific folder doesn't always show all the images from that shoot. As an example, I have a shoot from earlier this year where I have 200 images - and when I look under "Collections" in the left panel and select that collection, I see all the images. In the folder view, it only shows me about 120 of the images from this folder on my HDD. What the what???

I also thought about just importing directly from the hard drive and not doing the "import an Aperture catalog" function - but then I'd lose all the keywords/tags on my images, which would be painful to replace.

• 4. Re: Interface does not show collection names?

Right click on the top most folder, or the drive, and select Show Parent. That might straighten it out

• 5. Re: Interface does not show collection names?
                  jimjonesWRS Level 1

Thanks - I'll give that a try!

• 6. Re: Interface does not show collection names?
                    jimjonesWRS Level 1

RE: Apple screwing the pooch - yeah, they did. IMHO they screwed up when they stopped development of Aperture. I mean, I know why they did it - no sense in maintaining two complex apps that they derive zero revenue from...but it was a big step backwards for me. I use Mac for my personal stuff including photography, and I just am NOT going back to Windows...so LR/PS CC was a decent solution for me.