8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2015 8:21 AM by Bjornmidt

Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements

Bjornmidt

I captured around 1400 jpg images with a Dlink camera to make a timelapse movie in Premiere Elements.

When importing the jpegs i get error "The importer reported a generic error".  No matter if i drag/drop or use file -> add media.

One image or all - same error.

Doing the same in Windows Moviemaker works fine so the jpegs are ok.

I found this issue reported many times in different fora but couldn't find any solution that works for me.

Windows 8.1 64bit + Premiere Elements 13.1 (20150131.daily.767917). Any help welcome...

Errormessage.jpg

• 1. Re: Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bjornnidt

Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit

Does the import problem exist if you import the photos into Photoshop Elements 13 Editor or Elements Organizer 13 as well as Premiere Elements 13 Editor.

In the camera setup, is CMYK color profile used or other edits made to photos in the camera?

ATR

• 2. Re: Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements
            Bjornmidt Level 1

Thanks for your response.

Importing into Ps Elements editor/organizer and in Premiere Elemens organizer works fine.

This is what fails:

1. Starting Premiere Elements Video Editor.

2. Click "New Project"

3. Click "Add Media" - "Files and Folders" where my timelapse jpegs are located. Select all files, Add Media fails with the above error message.

The images come from a simple Dlink DCS-930L set up to take a picture every 40 seconds and upload to a local FTP server naming them Img0001,Img0002,.....

The camera is very simple and has no color profile settings. No post processing is done to the images.

I succeeded making my timelapse movie using Windows Moviemaker - so the jpegs should be good.

..Bjorn

• 3. Re: Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements
              Bjornmidt Level 1

I uploaded the first 10 jpegs to Google drive in an open folder if anyone want to try importing them in Premiere Elements.

Timelapse images

• 4. Re: Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Bjornmidt

I will download the samples and try to import them into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and report the results as soon as possible.

Thanks for the follow up and the opportunity to work with the photos that are at issue in your project.

To be continued.

ATR

• 5. Re: Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bjormmidt

I have your answer. And, it is in the color profile.

I could import your 10 images into Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 but not into Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

When I looked at the properties of the jpeg in MediaInfo, "chroma subsampling" was included in the jpeg's properties.

When I opened the jpegs into Photoshop Elements 13/13.1, I went to Image Menu/Mode, Mode = RGB Color. (Yours jpegs were all 8 bit, so this did not appear to be a 8 versus 16 bit matter).

All 10 jpegs could be imported into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor, if I went to Image Menu/Convert Color Profile and selected either

Remove Color Profile

or

Convert to Adobe RGB Profile

and saved the profile modified jpegs and imported that into the Premiere Elements project.

Please consider and then let me know the outcome.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/using/setting-color-management.html

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements
                    Bjornmidt Level 1

Thanks a lot. That explains my issue. Removing or changing the color profile fixed my problem.

Now the challenge is to remove/change the colorprofile on 1000's of jpegs. Unfortunately the "process multiple files" choice in Elements

doesn't allow changing color profile.

The images are uploaded from camera to a FTP server running Linux.

I will checkout if imagemagick or similar can batch-convert the images on the Linux machine.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

..Bjorn

• 7. Re: Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Bjorn

Thanks for the reply.

But, I forgot a critical test although I think the core of the problem goes to color management.

Jpeg as sent would not open in Premiere Elements 13/13.1

Jpeg modified in Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 to give Remove Color Profile, saved as Jpeg and imported into Premiere Elements

Jpeg modified in Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 to give Convert to Adobe RGB Profile, saved as Jpeg and imported into Premiere Elements

but I did not do the test

Jpeg as is in Photoshop Elements 13/13.1, saved as JPEG and imported into Premiere Elements....that also worked. The following is the Photoshop Elements 13/13.1 Save In dialog for that.

ColorProfile.JPG

Best wishes

ATR

• 8. Re: Cannot import jpegs in Premiere Elements
                        Bjornmidt Level 1

Thanks for the update.

Installed imagemagick on Ubuntu and removed the color profile in all 1400 images by one command.

mogrify -path/home/bjorn/Dlink -profile *.jpg

Then they imported into Premiere Elements without problems

These are low-res images for a test timelapse so color profile or not... doesn't matter.

Thanks again for your attention