2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2015 2:00 PM by rob day

Size of an exported pdf

j-cl35965287

Hello,

I have made a document under InDesign (a photo album). Initially, the document had 100 pages with about 150 pictures. All the pictures are in jpeg format, resolution of 300dpi and the mean size of the pictures is about 5Mo.

I have exported a pdf file of all the documents with the following main characteristics :

- Format : Adobe PDF (Print)

- No compression of the picture (as I have already made it directly with the picture file in jpeg)

I expected a file between 750Mo and 1Go but InDesign generated a file of 3.5Go.

To better understand what's going wrong, I have made a document with only 1 picture of 5Mo and I have generated a PDF file using the same characteristic : I received a file of 35Mo ! I don't understand why the file is so big (and much bigger than the picture itself).

How can I generate a pdf file with no compression of the pictures and with a size in line with the size of the pictures (for exemple : near 5 or 6 Mo in the previous exemple and between 750Mo and 1Go for the full document) ?

Of course, I can put in the compression option compress to JPEG and effectively, I receive a lighter file of 2,5 Mo for the one page document but I really want to avoid a compression as the document have to be send to be print by a professionnel to make a book. I also have to generate a 1.4 pdf version document (requested by the printer).

Thanks in advance for your help.

J-C

• 1. Re: Size of an exported pdf
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

- No compression of the picture (as I have already made it directly with the picture file in jpeg)

I think you're misunderstanding the way compression works. Once you've compressed a file via jpeg the compression artifacts are permanently baked into the file. If you then place the jpeg and export with no compression all of the pixels are exported and you've lost the compression savings. If you care about quality place .psds (converting jpegs to psd won't help because the artifacts are in the pixels), and then do the compression on export. The compression artifacts you would get with Maximum Quality will not show in print.

• 2. Re: Size of an exported pdf
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here I've placed an uncompressed PSD and the same file heavily compressed and you can clearly see the artifacts in the jpeg. If I export with no compression the artifacts in the bottom JPEG export unchanged. Note that the filters: in Acrobat's Object Inspector shows there's no compression:

Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 4.39.40 PM.png

If I export again from ID with heavy compression you can see that there are now artifacts in both the PSD and JPEG and the filters shows JPEG. The JPEG has been double compressed:

Screen Shot 2015-07-26 at 4.49.39 PM.png

1 person found this helpful