18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2015 11:39 AM by Paul P Clarke

Will pe 9 work with windows 10

Paul P Clarke Level 1

I'm wondering will premier elements 9 work with Windows 10.

• 1. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul P Clarke

That information is not known at that time.

Some have reported the Premiere Elements versions have worked on Windows 10, but in those cases I have not seen all the names of the versions defined.

More on this to come. Reminder this is not Adobe. User to user.

ATR

• 2. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I've run a number of "older" programs on Windows 10 with no problems. I have no doubt that version 9 will work on Windows 10. (Version 10 does.) Though it won't take advantage of the 64-bit architecture the way more recent versions of Premiere Elements will.

• 3. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul P Clarke

In the next few days I will be looking at Windows 10 and Premiere Elements from 4 through 13.

As soon as possible, I will let you know my results and comments on doing that.

ATR

• 4. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Or you can take my word for it.

Though I guess there's no harm in more than one person checking it out.

• 5. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                  Paul P Clarke Level 1

Thanks for the replies. I will look for your review and maybe its time to upgrade to 13.

• 6. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul P Clarke

We are looking forward to posting our results on Premiere Elements versions on Windows 10 64 bit.

Tonight I am into planning strategy for doing that and still having the original operating system available on the computer.

As for moving to Premiere Elements 13/13.1, please go the free 30 days tryout route before purchase to assure the compatibility of the program with your computer environment and project goals. The tryout is a full program.There were several features removed from 13/13.1, so I will post the Adobe document on that just in case any are must have features.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/removed-features-formats-elements.html

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether it is run on a 32 or 64 bit computer.

Premiere Elements 10, 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 Windows is a 64 bit application when run specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit (presumably 10 64 bit also). All that has computer resource implications when working with the larger projects.

ATR

• 7. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                      Paul P Clarke Level 1

Thanks for that info. I'll definitely wait to install Win 10 till after I've seen some reviews then I'll try that free trial of 13. Since I have a 64 bit computer even going up to pe 10 might work for me to take advantage of the 64 bit capability.

• 8. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                        everetth37669831 Level 1

Thanks so much

• 9. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                          Paul P Clarke Level 1

My plan to install Win 10 in a week or so came undone when windows installed it immediately despite my instructions to wait. The good news is it was a smooth install and it looks like everything is working. I converted a small project in pe 9 to mp4 and it played on my tv with no problems. My only slight worry is that AMD no longer supports my graphics card. (hd 2600 xt). The windows drivers seem to be working fine but I'm not certain I haven't lost some functionality. I was thinking of upgrading to pe 13 and wondered should I get a newer card.

My system specs are :

Dell XPS420

2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache

64-bit ready

Multi-core (4 total)

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT

• 10. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul P. Clarke

Thanks for the interesting and important information about Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 10. Did you have to do any installing of programs in the process? The Premiere Elements  9.0.1 Update?

I did not get my reserved copy of Windows 10 yet, and I tried to accelerate matters by using the Media Creation Tool to obtain an .iso file and then creating a bootable USB flash drive with the Windows USB DVD Download Tool. That and several other maneuvers did not work.

Could you describe what you think is a loss in some functionality regarding the video card/graphic card? If you have been pleased with the card performance before going to 10, perhaps contact ADM/ATR Sales to discuss your video card/graphic card in Windows 10.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is a 32 bit application whether it is run in a 32 or 64 bit computer. Version 10 and later in 64 bit system would be a 64 bit application. This has computer resource level implications when you need to get a larger project completed successfully.

More on this later.

Best wishes

ATR

• 11. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                              Paul P Clarke Level 1

I didn't have to do any installing after the upgrade. My version of pe 9 is 9.0.1 and the update option is grayed out so I assume I have the latest version. I don't have Catalyst command center from AMD so I have to rely on settings in window to change my display settings. I can change text size, go landscape or horizontal and choose the main monitor. I'll contact amd and see if they have a driver. But as I said, everything is working.

• 12. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul P Clarke

Thanks for the great follow up information.

Just a typing error on my side in post 10 where I wrote

perhaps contact ADM/ATR Sales to discuss your video card/graphic card in Windows 10.

That should have been ATI and not ATR. I have no affiliation with ADM and no Sales business of any kind.

Best wishes

ATR

• 13. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                                  Paul P Clarke Level 1

Premier elements 9 is not working as well as previously reported after the upgrade to Windows 10. When playing clips the video shows on the monitor but as the pointer moves across the timeline it leaves behind a series of lines that cover the timeline. It then becomes difficult to find the start or end of clips. If I skip clips till I get to a new ' page ' and then go back all the lines clear. A bigger problem is moving clips. If I want to move a clip to a different area on the timeline I grab it and lift it off the track to the track above and drag it along the timeline to where I want it to go and then drop it back on the original track. Now when I do this the timeline disappears but I can still see the outline of the clip I want to move. I move to clip till I think I'm close to where I want to drop it. I then have to click on the area where the timeline should be and it reappears. I do this till I have the clip to where I want to drop it. Its a tedious process but it works. I don't know if this is caused by a graphics card issue or Premier elements or something else. I found a legacy driver for the graphics card but it did not help. I contacted AMD on 8/3/15 but only got notification that they received my support request but no answer as yet. If a new graphics card would solve the problem I would get one but I would like to know for sure before buying the card. Maybe I'll hear from AMD.

• 14. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul P Clarke

I have now installed Windows 10 64 bit on two of my computers. Tomorrow I will install Premiere Elements 9.0 and its update 9.0.1 on the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit (that is the one with the AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics dated July 7, 2015 and with driver version 15.200.1045.1.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 before Windows 10 had unique video card/graphics card issues. Please try the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file to determine if it improves your current situation. Please see the following and use the Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit instructions for 9.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: BadDrivers.Txt File Locations

Also see post 10 in the following

Re: Premiere Elements 9 Tryout Serious Display Problem

I will have more news for you in the morning morning.

To be continued - thanks for the update, appreciated.

ATR

• 15. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul P Clarke

I have installed Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 10 Professional 64 bit (video card/graphic card AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics dated July 7, 2015 with driver version 15.200.1045.1).

So far, I have had no problems and no display card error messages with Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 in this computer environment.

We will be watching for further developments, especially the results from the BadDrivers.txt file.

To be continued as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 16. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                                        Paul P Clarke Level 1

Sorry for the delay in replying to the previous posts, I have been searching various forums for answers to the problem. I finally got an answer from AMD tech support. The short answer is that older ATI Radeon cards are not supported on windows 10. If Microsoft windows 10 detects such a card it installs Microsoft Basic Display Driver for the device. So I've decided not to pursue this any further. I'll probably get a new graphics card which may not solve the problem but should be a vast improvement on the card I have now. Thanks for all the time and effort you have put into this, I really appreciate it.

Paul Clarke

• 17. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Paul P Clarke

Thanks for the update.

Did you have time to look at the deletion of the BadDrivers.txt file? Just curious how that deletion would impact your situation. But if you have made definite plans for moving forward and have not done the BadDrivers.txt file suggestion, then please disregard.

Best wishes for whatever direction you decide on in your Premiere Elements workflows.

ATR

• 18. Re: Will pe 9 work with windows 10
                                            Paul P Clarke Level 1

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I had deleted the baddrivers.txt file. It made no difference at all. Thanks again.

Paul