4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 5:41 PM by short73

Clarity v Dehaze..what's the difference? And why?

short73 Level 1

I'm wondering what the difference is between Clarity and Dehaze?

I understand that Clarity increases mid tone contrast, so does DeHaze increase shadow and hi light contrast?

Also, curious to know why Dehaze is in the "Effects" tab in develop, when Clarity is in the"Basic" tab.....? And why is the Dehaze in the program at all; are there a lot of cameras / lenses producing haze or some kind of flare that there's a demand to remove it?

Thanks,

Alan.

• 1. Re: Clarity v Dehaze..what's the difference? And why?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You will understand what the Dehaze Filter is for when you need it. It's not a tool that is used on every image. It's in the Effects panel because that's where Adobe decided to put it. Is there a problem with that?

• 2. Re: Clarity v Dehaze..what's the difference? And why?
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can also use it to enhance mist or fog. So I guess that makes it an effect.

• 3. Re: Clarity v Dehaze..what's the difference? And why?
              Conrad C Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Dehaze is different because, according to Adobe, "The Dehaze technology is based on a physical model of how light is transmitted, and it tries to estimate light that is lost due to absorption and scattering through the atmosphere." So there's an element of content-aware scene analysis at a level that's beyond what Clarity does.

It's probably not enough to describe which tonal ranges Dehaze changes, because I think Dehaze varies what it changes depending on whether it thinks an area is hazy or not. Dehaze will affect hazy/background areas more than non-hazy/foreground areas, where Exposure/Contrast/Clarity would adjust the entire image the same amount.

One reason it's in the Effects tab is that Adobe recommends getting the Basic tab as correct as possible (especially White Balance) before applying Dehaze. But also because it can create a haze effect if you use negative values.

• 4. Re: Clarity v Dehaze..what's the difference? And why?
                short73 Level 1

Thanks SaturnV,

That's a good explanation!
                Appreciate your input.

Dehaze defintiely seems to assess the image and apply more "haze / flare" around light objects when setting a negative value, and presumably remove "haze / flare"  with an emphasis on light edges when applying a positive value. It also seems to  apply a saturation boost, which clarity does not, as far as I can see....

Alan.