8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2015 6:57 PM by davidm13865570

New File Locatoin

davidm13865570

I transferred a file to a new hard drive. Elements organizer has found the file location in the E Drive, but now in Premiere Elements, it is not able to use the file. When I click on the video from the Add Media boxes, it doesn't play and has an "indexing" load box that never loads. Help please.

• 1. Re: New File Locatoin
          A.T. Romano Level 7

davidm

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?

Is the hard drive involved external or external?

Could you clarify

but now in Premiere Elements, it is not able to use the file. When I click on the video from the Add Media boxes, it doesn't play and has an "indexing" load box that never loads

What are you doing...Add Media/Files and Folders/ and navigating to the file on drive E and then what?

a. Is the file stuck in Project Assets and an endless indexing activity seen at bottom right of workspace?

or

b. other

Please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and inspect the setup for the Scratch Disks.

Also, if you return the file to where it was before, does the problem disappear?

ATR

• 2. Re: New File Locatoin
            davidm13865570 Level 1

Hello A.T.Romano, I am using Premier Elements 13 and am using Windows 7. The hard drive is an additional internal drive that I just added. I wanted to transfer some media files for more space. This is a potential issue as I have a significantly large existing project that I would like to keep in tact, which uses these media files. To test the program's ability to find the new location, and to use these files, I cut one video from my C Drive and put it into my new E drive.

When I opened the file in Elements Organizer, it was able to locate the new location of the file. When I attempted to access this file in Premiere Elements from the Add Media boxes, it shows the thumbnail of the file in its new location, but when I double-click it, it says "indexing", which is new started nor completed, so to answer your question, it is "a".

I am unsure how to "inspect" the setup for Scratch Disks. I get to the Scratch Disk location, but do not know what you mean.

When I put the video back to its original location, it loads fine.

• 3. Re: New File Locatoin
              A.T. Romano Level 7

davidm

Please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. Please note where each is directed and how much free hard drive space exists for each.

Nonetheless our target for now is going to be the category Media Cache.

Scratch Disks Media Cache traces to the Media Cache Files Folder found by default in Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0 (in your case) and the Media Cache Files Folder.

According to Adobe Premiere Elements Help | Working with scratch disks

Media Cache Folder or disk for audio peak files, audio conform files, video index files, and other files Premiere Elements creates to improve performance when reading media files

I want to explore the possibility that the setup of the Media Cache might be involved in your issue.

Also, how are the Advanced Properties of the video file set up at its hard drive save location on the E drive ("Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to the file properties."

Let us see if any of the above targets a solution for your issue. Taking Premiere Element out of the problem equation, are you having problems with any other files stored on the E drive and used in another computer activities?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: New File Locatoin
                davidm13865570 Level 1

Hello ATR,

I am having no other issues with the files stored on the E drive. The properties show that the file will "Allow this file to have contents indexed in addition to the file properties".

Everything in the Scratch Disk area shows that path is the "Same as Project", while the Media Cache says "Custom. All are in the C Drive.

I hope this helps.

• 5. Re: New File Locatoin
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

davidm

So far, how many videos are running into this index issue when they go from C to E to being imported in the Premiere Elements project? Is the problem with any video or still imported from E into Premiere Elements? Does the problem exist if you open a new project and did the same?

ATR

• 6. Re: New File Locatoin
                    davidm13865570 Level 1

Hi ATR,

So far I have had this issue with all of the videos that I have transferred, yet Elements Organizer finds and uses the new file locations without an issue. The same issue exists with other new projects as well.

Dave

• 7. Re: New File Locatoin
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

davidm

Thanks for the reply.

If you import these files into the Elements Organizer and from there import them into Premiere Elements Editor Expert workspace, do these files go through the endless indexing process as they do when they are imported directly into the Premiere Elements Editor with its Expert workspace Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets?

ATR

• 8. Re: New File Locatoin
                        davidm13865570 Level 1

ATR,

I have tried what you have said and the endless indexing process persists. The files work if I find them individually for each video and image. This could take a long time if that is what I need to do.