4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 6:56 PM by wobertc

Automated random sorting of lightroom images?

nthcm

Hello,

I'm looking for a function (or work around) in Lightroom that allows a user to sort a folder of images completely randomly. I know that there is a random function in the slideshow panel, but I'm looking for a random sort function in the Library module. I want to be able to view a sequence of photos one way, add star rankings, then re-sort the highest ranking images randomly without having to click and drag each individual picture.

In other words, I want to be able to save a file sequence after it has been randomized so that I can still separate those photos by ranking.

Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Automated random sorting of lightroom images?
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Use a collection. You can drag thumbnails into any position to create a custom order and they stay fixed.

• 2. Re: Automated random sorting of lightroom images?
            nthcm Level 1

Thanks for the advice 99jon, but I'm afraid it doesn't completely fix my problem. I could click and drag the thumbnails, but I'm working with hundreds-to-thousands of individual images and I don't have time to click and drag each one individually. I'm hoping to click a button and have the program sort them in random order for me so that it won't take for ever to do.

• 3. Re: Automated random sorting of lightroom images?
              andrewfreeman Level 3

As far as can tell there is no way of doing this in LR....

A work around I can think of is this, but it's not ideal because you will lose editing power. Plus... working with lots of images....hmmm... I don't think it's ideal, it's definitely ugly..... but anyway.

1) Do what ever you need to do to rate the images.

2) Sort the images by rating

2) Export the images you want above a rating threshold to a separate folder.

3) Use a tool that randomises filenames. Apply it to your files: eg:. Filename Randomizer download | SourceForge.net

4) Re-import the images into LR, but keep them separate from everything else.

5) Apply a sort by filename. As the filenames are random, so are your images.

Can I ask why you want to do this? Just curious really....

I'm sure some smart person could come up with something with the SDK............

• 4. Re: Automated random sorting of lightroom images?
                wobertc Adobe Community Professional

Just a comment on your words-

to click and drag each individual picture.

An example situation-

To put all 3-star *** images into a collection, Use the filter bar to only see *** images, press CTRL+A to select all, press [B].

All these *** images will go into the collection that is set as the "Target Collection".

The Default "Target Collection" is the Quick Collection, but any { old (Right-click) or new (by the option) } collection can be set as the Target Collection.